What's the best way to keep Japanese Beetles away from a garden?

+3
Can I use something that is not a pesticide?
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on May 27, 2017
    Put down a dropcloth and, in the early morning when they’re most active, shake them off and dump them into a bucket of soapy water.

• Mary lu Mary lu on May 28, 2017
    you might try planting marigolds around the garden. they will repel a lot of bugs but not sure with japanese beetles but worth a try.

• Tho23340663 Tho23340663 on May 28, 2017
    I don't know of any non-pesticide deterrent. One thing I do know - don't use any of those bug catching bags - they'll attract beetles from 1/4 mi. to your yard.

• Anne Lobaccaro Anne Lobaccaro on May 28, 2017
    I've never tried it but milky spore is supposed to work in time. It is natural. I think it kills or discourages the grubs which are Japanese beetle larvae which also gets rid of the moles that feed on the grubs. It's one of those things I've wanted to try but put it off.

• Wendy Bresnahan Wendy Bresnahan on May 28, 2017
    Thanks. Funny you should say that. I used milky spore about 18 years ago on my lawn and they say you should be good for near 20 years. 1st time in 18 years I have a mole destroying my lawn. I never even thought to use in my garden. great advice.

• Cindy j. Cindy j. on May 29, 2017
    I use old margarine tubs, half filled with water and Dawn dish-washing soap. Using the top of the tub I flick them into the water and they drown. It doesn't discourage them from flying in, but I get rid of some!