What's the best way to keep weeds from coming up in my flower beds?

+7
I've tried newspaper,weed guards, hate round up
  • Rebecca Peterson Rebecca Peterson on Jun 07, 2017
    You can layer newspaper and top with dirt. Layer the newspaper 2-3 sheets on top of each other and cover with dirt. The paper will kill the weeds and grass. After time it will disintegrate with weeds and grass nowhere in sigh.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 07, 2017
    newspapers,cardboard,landscape fabric and top with mulch

• A A on Jun 07, 2017
    I'm curious as to your issue with Round-Up. It's environmentally safe and it now comes in a gel that you roll on the leaves of weeds. It kills them down to the root and you don't accidentally spray other plants.

• See 1 previous
    • A A on Jun 07, 2017
      Refer to the Fact Sheet @ the National Pesticide Information Center http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html#env

Here's an excerpt (this is the ingredient in Round-Up):
      What happens to glyphosate in the environment?
      Glyphosate binds tightly to soil. It can persist in soil for up to 6 months depending on the climate and the type of soil it is in. Glyphosate is broken down by bacteria in the soil.
      Glyphosate is not likely to get into groundwater because it binds tightly to soil. In one study, half the glyphosate in dead leaves broke down in 8 or 9 days. Another study found that some glyphosate was taken up by carrots and lettuce after the soil was treated with it.

Can glyphosate affect birds, fish, or other wildlife?
      Pure glyphosate is low in toxicity to fish and wildlife, but some products containing glyphosate may be toxic because of the other ingredients in them. Glyphosate may affect fish and wildlife indirectly because killing the plants alters the animals' habitat.

• Lil Bling Lil Bling on Jun 08, 2017
    I use a 4 prong metal rake once a week. I just rough up the dirt in the beds and the weeds don't have a chance to take root.

• Rodger Tucker Rodger Tucker on Jun 08, 2017
    A product called "Preen". We will also mulch heavily with the stuff that comes in a 2 cu.ft bag & different colors.We like Black the best.

• Debbie Debbie on Jun 09, 2017
    Thank you, I'll try again.Will the grass not regrow when paper disintegrates?

• Renee Renee on Jun 09, 2017
    As long as the area gets no sun, nothing will grow under it. However over time new airborn seeds can settle into the mulch and take root. Just pull as you see them. Other than Preen there's no other option.

• Debbie Debbie on Jun 12, 2017
    Thank you Renee!I'll give it a try