What to do with bamboo growing in my backyard?

+4
Trying to keep it from spreading too far, too fast. Any ideas on how I can make something from it?
  • Marlene June Haas Marlene June Haas on Jun 07, 2017
    Nothing but a cement barrier will stop bamboo from spreading. The roots from bamboo will travel more than 10 feet and sprout up in new locations.

• BusterHp BusterHp on Jun 07, 2017
    What you trim you can actually use to build a superficial wall or barrier. Cut the larger pieces and wire them together. You can also deleaf the larger shoots and sell them or build tiki torches

• Cath Marshall Cath Marshall on Jun 08, 2017
    Gardening expert told me to constantly apply Round-up to the lower stems and roots. Bamboo is a grass, treat it like a weed.

• Donna Donna on Jun 08, 2017
    Don't ever plant it.Somebody planted it on the other side of the cemetery and not they can't get rid of it. It has engulfed my great aunts grave and no one can stop it. It is horrid.

• LoriGeo LoriGeo on Jun 09, 2017
      That's what happened here too...someone planted it in the barrier between our house and the development behind us. We have a pretty good handle on it right now as far as keeping out of our yard, but it's still growing in the barrier so looks like a continuing issue.

• Anne Knaggs Anne Knaggs on Jun 08, 2017
    Anne Grand Rapids Mi. I live in a high rise but used to have 40 acres. I always planned on planting Bamboo. I have seen a great expansion for using bamboo in many applications ie, its used to make : High quality towels, clothing, sheets , material too many others to mention.. I love the softness feel of the material. Since it grows and spreads quickly , it can replace cutting trees and other natural products. Totally sustainable. Bamboo is extremely strong.! A friend of mine supervises building High rise top name Hotels in Singapore . I was so surprised when he said because iof its incredible strength and light weight Bamboo is the major material used ! I've also seen it in Puerto Rico! I use I for crafts . Wind chimes . Bind it together with raffia for projects. Anne Knaggs. Have fun!

• AS AS on Jul 02, 2017
    We planted 3 stalksl in our tiny backyard to hide an ugly neighboring yard. Soon it grew out of control, so we pulled up all of the unwanted rhizomes. Then, my husband and I dug a 2 foot trench all around our little grove and installed a 60 mil rhizome barrier. It was a lot of work, but we'll worth it. The cluster is beautiful all year long and our backyard feels like a getaway. Wish I had known about the barrier before starting this project.