How can I build a low cost deck cover?

+3
My deck is where we all like to hang out. We have a canopy but With the various weather we keep having to purchase new canopies and it's getting expensive. I cannot afford to have one built.
q how can i build a low cost deck cover
  • Luv24728953 Luv24728953 on Jun 18, 2017
    "Low cost" is subjective. You can buy a pergola from costco or amazon for $1200-1500. A LOT cheaper than it would cost to have one built.

• Swinnen Lisette Swinnen Lisette on Jun 18, 2017
    What about those triangles?

• Jeannie Herman Jeannie Herman on Jun 18, 2017
      The triangles do not provide much shade. I bought a rectangle one, 20' X 14' for about $70.00. I still need to get the posts and put it up...But, I think I am looking at about $125.00 or so. I think that's pretty good.

• Barbara German Barbara German on Jun 19, 2017
    Order sunshades from Amazon...they are amazing and a 6' by 6' one is less than $70.

• Dana Dana on Jun 21, 2017
    I don't know what your budget is but my husband and I spent about $250 and built our own awning that was 10ftx12ft - using wood, lag bolts, joist hangers, j-channel and left over vinyl siding. We got (2) 1x6 to use as header boards, (3) 4x4 posts, (3) metal brackets for 4x4 posts to be connected to concrete pad, (10) 2x4s, (8) lag bolts, (20) joist hangers and screws. We had left over vinyl siding and j-channel from our home, so we used that as the "roof" - free. If you don't have any, you will need purchase (5-8) pieces of j-channel and 1 box of vinyl siding too (which rasies the cost about $125 more). Or...you can purchase those long fiberglass sheets instead. NOTE: when setting the posts, be sure to use a good "pitch" (outer edge of awning needs to be lower than the part connected to the house) for good run off of rain.