What's the best non wood decking material?

+3
  • FL FL on Jun 13, 2017
    According to Consumer Reports :( http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/decking.htm)
    "About 80 percent of homeowners who install decks use wood. But synthetic planks can offer good looks with less upkeep. Composites, which blend ground-up wood and plastic, have chipped away at wood's popularity. Some contain recycled plastic.
    If your decking has cracks, looks dirty, or suffers from mildew, it's time to decide whether to refinish or replace it entirely. Signs of an unsafe deck are often less obvious, but safety checks are critical when deciding to repair or replace. Also, if your deck was built before 2004, it's probably made of lumber..."
    (Read more at site) Hope this helps you decide!

• FL FL on Jun 13, 2017
    According to Crabapple Landscape Experts: Lavender, Lemon Balm,
    Marigolds, Ageratum, Pennyroyal, bee balm, catnip, Citronella Grass,

• Bobbie M Bobbie M on Jun 13, 2017
    Most composites are made from waste: sawdust, used plastic milk jugs, and shopping bags. Every 20 feet of decking contains about 30 pounds of material that would have ended up in a landfill. They don't need much more than an annual wash-down, but can be expensive. They don't rot, split, mold, or mildew. Check with your local Building Companies to compare pricing as there are many products on the market now that come in colors.

• Chris Chris on Jun 18, 2017
    love my 17 year old TREX-no replacement nor repairs.

• Sharon Roscher Sharon Roscher on Jun 18, 2017
      I'm sure glad that you love your TREX deck. Our 2nd story TREX deck started disintegrating after the first year and by the 3d year disintegrated to the point that it was to dangerous to walk on. Needless to say, we contacted our contractor (who told us we needed to contact TREX directly) as soon as we noticed the problem...that was in 2007! The contractor obviously got his money and didn't want to have to deal with the problem! And then the nightmare began: TREX offered us less than 50% of the material that we paid for and absolutely NOTHING for a Contractor - oh, they did offer us $56 for the screws & miscellaneous items (whatever THAT means). Their Customer Service Reps were hostile and rude and 400 lb. inspector that they sent out was even worse, if that was even possible! They want us to settle their "Class Action" law suit but I'm not anywhere near in agreement with their offer (stated above).

We've since had a new deck built out of Alaskan Cedar and I guess we'll have to eat the entire cost of that TREX deck! For obvious reasons, I would NEVER recommend TREX!

• Chris Chris on Jun 19, 2017
    We were lucky that we used 1st generation TREX when they first made it in 1999. I do know that they changed the composition in later years and that is when problems began. Shari44, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It seems there is always something to repair with a home. It was my understanding that TREX should never be used for railings or under structure as it does not have the strength for that application. and it can warp if not fully supported. My 'plastic trellis' used as part of a railing is cracking and needs to be replaced from the hot sun.
    I've read that the rubber stuff for rolling on older wood decks is awful and peels off in chunks. At our last house it seems we were replaceing wolmanized boards every year as they rotted, and as it was 3 feet tall we could not easily check the supports for it. Did you read about the 2nd story deck that collapised this weekend with 24 people on it?
    It is difficult dealing with awful customer service people. We needed a new AC and furnace last year and got 3 prices. One company had terrible internet reviews when we looked them up. The second and most well known company in our area was the cheapest, but the workman and the salesman were sleazy, rude and high pressure--we did not use them either. We were very satisfied with the local company that we picked.
    Now we need a new roof this summer.