How do you prep a cinder block foundation for paint?

+2
Our home is two years old and the cinderblock foundation has a white powdery coating on it now. I was wondering if this was something that need to be addressed before you could paint? If so, what is the best method for prepping the surface before painting?
Thank you!
Nicole
  • Robin Robin on Jun 08, 2017
    Power wash it!

• Nicole Nicole on Jun 08, 2017
      Yes, I figured I would have to wash it first. Do you have to wash it with any particular solvents or anything? I don't know why it gets the white powdery coating on the block. I was wondering if I sealed that in there if it was harmful to the integrity of the block or anything?

• C C on Jun 08, 2017
    We were told by the hardware store to use Kilz for the first coat. We did it with roller & paint brush. It took 4 coats of paint to do our cinderblock fence wall. I finally bought "oops" paint at $40 for 5 gal and then did the final 2 coats with the color I really wanted.

• Robin Robin on Jun 08, 2017
    Cinder blocks are a concrete type material. If you paint them it's not necessary. Sealer will not hurt them in any way.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Jun 08, 2017
    Power wash it and then use a spray painter to paint.