Painting outside light fixtures

+3
What is the easiest way to paint and update outside light fixtures. I was thinking of scraping of peeling pain, sanding and spraying with Rust-Oleum bronze paint but they apear to be wired into house and I didn’t want to call an electrician.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 17, 2017
    Just mask around them really well (garbage bag cut to open flat, etc.) Tape off the part where the bulb goes, so you don't get paint in there. Don't paint on a windy day

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 17, 2017
    Can you tape everything off so that the paint won't get on anything except the fixtures? That probably means parts of your house and floors too. If you can do that, painting will work, but it is highly recommended by Rust-Oleum that metal used outdoors should be primed before painting to ensure a better bond. Wishing you the best & Happy Holidays!

• Linda beat me to it - exactly what I would suggest. Tape off in place and use a piece of cardboard to prevent over spray. Be sure to cut power to the fixture before painting.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 17, 2017
    It is a little more hassle but take the fixtures down and then paint. The job will look more professional if you do this (I know I learned this the hard way).

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 17, 2017
    Are you located where it freezes, or gets close to freezing, this time of year? If so, do not do any exterior painting until the spring when the temperature warms up again.

• William William on Dec 17, 2017
    Linda and Naomie have got it! Exactly what I was going to recommend. I've done it before. The fixture was screwed and caulked to the wall. Would have fallen apart if I tried to remove it. Smart and talented minds think alike.