What color should we use for painting our decks and privacy fence?

+6

Our home is blue wood vertical siding. We have a 16x16 unfinished deck on the back and a 12x6 unfinished deck on the front. We want to use Behr textured paint for both and a similar color for our privacy fence. Does anyone have any suggestions? We thought of a neutral gray (slate gray).

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Aug 05, 2019

If your decks are wood, I suggest that you use a stain instead of paint. Paint tends to chip and peel. As for color, I would go with a tan then brown for the fence. (I'm not a fan of gray, I find it depressing), but that really is a personal choice. Pick a few colors and test them on a spot that is out of the way.

• Darlene Darlene on Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a few colors before deciding. Thanks again.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 05, 2019

Hi Darlene: The slate gray sounds amazing! Stains come in really neat colours, so I would check that out. Like SG says, paint will chip and peal after a while. I stained my wooden patio table and used a foam brush. Don't do that:( It crumbles apart and is icky. Use a brush, even a cheap one is better than those foam brushes. Also, don't shake the stain, stir it. You don't want all of those little bubbles popping up and ruining your surface. Good luck, and send pictures!

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Aug 05, 2019

I suggest using a dark blue stain or paint. I’d you want an immediate aged look, use diluted white paint as a whitewash, which will not completely cover the blue. Best wishes! Jewell

• William William on Aug 06, 2019

I hope you don't mean Behr Deck Over paint. DON'T DO IT.

There is a problem with the deck over products. They are known to crack and peel within two years. Hard to remove. Many Hometalkers have used them and regret it and have mention their misfortunes in discussions. Many people had o replace deck boards and even complete decks. There are class action lawsuits against the manufacturers. Also notice they are not advertised anymore. You can do some online research and find more cons than pros. I have been advising Hometalkers not to use the products and to spread the word. Some have tried scraping and sanding with fair results.

Lots of law firms with class action lawsuits. You can file.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=sAzPXImpCavh0gLw6Jr4Bg&q=class+action+suit+against+deck+over&oq=class+action+lawsuits+against+deck&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i22i30l8.1231.26953..36793...0.0..0.214.4942.0j33j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10.6apZ9BCmJRQ

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 06, 2019

I think slate gray would be perfect. It was the first think I thought of before I got to the end of your post. Don't go very dark or it will show dust & footprints.