Do Dodson Designs did a fabulous paint job on this couch! Painting fabric furniture is so much fun and way easier than reupholstering, not to mention less expensive.
How to Paint Fabric Furniture Easily
This old gal will be living in a beauty salon greeting customers as they come in. But before anyone can curl up on this sofa, we gotta get her dyed up. Let’s get this color job started!
Before applying the paint to the fabric, I dampened the fabric to allow the fibers to open and accept the paint. A spray mist water bottle was the perfect tool for the job. I lightly misted the fabric in small areas as I painted. It also dilutes the paint to become more like a dye.
I applied the first coat of chalk mineral paint and allowed it to thoroughly dry, usually overnight. Then I lightly sanded it with a 220 grit sandpaper. It’s important to sand between coats of paint to keep the fabric soft and not crunchy. Remove any dust with a cotton cloth. The second coat was applied the same way. I lightly misted the painted furniture fabric with water before applying the second coat.
The fabric was sealed with two coats of Dixie Belle's Easy Peasy Spray Wax. I sprayed the first coat on the fabric and allowed it to dry. After it dried I buffed it with a soft cloth. The second coat was applied the same way. You can apply more wax depending on the traffic your piece will be getting. The feel of the fabric is now like a soft leather, NOT CRUNCHY! I love it!
Bunker Hill Blue was stippled on over Mermaid Tail on the wood parts of the sofa. I added Warm Gold Gilding wax to the details with my finger tip to really make them stand out.
I really love the contrast of the navy and teal with gold accents. A sofa fit for a queen! The fabric now has a soft leather-like feel too.
- Mermaid Tail Chalk Mineral Paint (https://dixiebellepaint.com/mermaid-tail-chalk-mineral-paint/)
- Cotton Chalk Mineral Paint (https://dixiebellepaint.com/cotton-chalk-mineral-paint/)
- Bunker Hill Blue Chalk Mineral Paint (https://dixiebellepaint.com/bunker-hill-blue-chalk-paint/)
- Driftwood Chalk Mineral Paint (https://dixiebellepaint.com/driftwood-chalk-paint/)
- Gilding Wax (https://dixiebellepaint.com/gilding-wax/)
- Easy Peasy Spray Wax (https://dixiebellepaint.com/easy-peasy-spray-wax-8oz/)