Anyone brave enough to try leather paint and if so what did u use?

+8
I have seen a few on a google search, never know if it is just advertising the paint or if it actually working. I have a beautiful brown leather set I bought when I lived in Germany back in the early 90's. I would love to lighten it up to a softer color but dont won't to ruin either. I took it to an upholstery shop about 10 yrs ago and the guy refused to destroy the leather.....as the way it is built you would have to use the original insert. Love that guy! Wasn't about monies for him.....yes! I can live with i as I have for 35 yrs.
q anyone brave enough to try leather paint and if so what did u use
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 18, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/living-room/furniture/leather-couch-makeover-28435925

• Jeremy Baumgartner Jeremy Baumgartner on Dec 27, 2017
      Just sell it and replace it with something more up to date , or place it in storage or use in guest room

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 18, 2017
    Does this paint go over leather? Leather is the skin if an animal and needs to breayhe,in a sense that is why you have to be so careful as to how you place it in a room no direct natural light no vents close by. Or us thus paint to make it look like leather?

• Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Dec 18, 2017
    that's beautiful sofa, I wouldn't touch it.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 18, 2017
    I would not paint it. Leather cannot be wrapped in plastic, nor should it be painted.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 19, 2017
    Agree with everyone who has said do not paint it. To have the sofa appear in such good condition after all these years shows that it is a very well build piece of furniture, which is quite rare these days. I understand what you mean by the colour perhaps not being your first choice, but you seriously risk wrecking the entire sofa if you attempt any scheme.
    "To lighten it up", approach the dilemma from a larger viewpoint of the entire room. I would suggest any of the following: replacing the tired looking bulky chair a more refined and lighter colour chair, getting brighter livelier looking toss cushions, light colour throws, double lamps with LED lights at both sides of the sofa, a coloured area rug in front of the sofa.......

• Julie Doherty Julie Doherty on Dec 26, 2017
    Try painting the wood parts in a light cream or similar to lift the overall darkness.

• Jul32260603 Jul32260603 on Dec 30, 2017
    Hmm very interesting... Plasti Dip (spray rubber coating) is theoretically, peelable, how about a stencil? If peeled, unintentionally or not, it may take of a layer, but you would have a stainable surface. Win win. Tone on tone matte finish would be cool, and safe. My other thought was branding. Which I know nothing about! I say do it neither one of you are getting any younger. Girl power!

• Shelly Shelly on Dec 30, 2017
    it looks like there is a lot of lighter colors in the room - maybe that is why you are not liking the color of the couch - being that it is such a contrast. Maybe if you'd try a patterned throw rug with dark and light colors, paint the wall a slightly darker color or maybe a faux finish - you just might fall in love with the color of the couch. Just a suggestion as I have had similar dilemmas. If that doesn't work for you maybe a fuzzy light blanket covering the middle or some cool sheepskin or cowhide throw over top of it?

• Lisa Sheppard Lisa Sheppard on Jan 04, 2018
    I painted my couch. I lightly sanded it then used watered down latex paint. I turned out so well i was able to sell it a year later for a tidy profit.

• Naf25190757 Naf25190757 on Jan 05, 2018
    Did you start w a light color and go darker?