Bathrooms- any DIY ideas?

+9
q bathrooms
Sorry if hard to see.
  • Tammy Tammy on Jun 04, 2017
    I can see your picture, just not sure what your question is.

• See 1 previous
    • C Van Houten C Van Houten on Jun 04, 2017
      If it's builder grade (Which it looks like to me) I would just paint it. Unless it's a rental, in which case get the landlord's permission first. If he says no, they make some great contact papers now, some you can even get at the dollar store, that don't stick too hard to surfaces, so they can be easily removed without leaving glue behind.

If I could afford a new one, I'd definitely try painting it first. Because who knows? You might end up loving what color you painted it, and you'd save money not having to buy a new one. But if you ended up not liking it, you could get a new one and you probably will learn things about painting MFD. That vanity looks like it hails from the days of "Light Oak Rules Everything." That stuff can be a PITA to cover up the grain. I've had to paint that stuff and I end up using wood filler to try to smooth out the grain but even then, it looks better, not perfect.

If you don't mind the wood color, you could look around on this site and others to change out the doors. I've seen some wonderful ideas for doors. I have a friend who "made" doors with two picture frames she got at a garage sale. She painted the glass with DIY "Sea glass paint" (Modge podge or Elmer's glue mixed with whatever color paint you want your "Sea glass" to be.) Then she used some LED strip lights on the bottom of the cabinet and on the sides. It gives off a nice, soft glow that acts as a night light.

There are hundreds of ideas for dressing up cabinets/vanities on this site and google. Look around and find what interests you. Go to Home Depot even, and look at the vanities you like and see if you can convert yours to something similar. It sounds like you need inspiration more than instructions, at least at this point! :D

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Jun 04, 2017
    I too can see your photo okay, Are you looking for paint colour ideas, or upgrade ideas. ??

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jun 04, 2017
    And what kind of style do you like? Are you rustic, farmhouse, formal, glam?

• Sus4499217 Sus4499217 on Jun 04, 2017
    if your not happy with it the way it looks paint it! Add pretty handles also.

• Eloise Eloise on Jun 04, 2017
    I had great success redoing my bathroom vanity with Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations. Everything you need is in the kit. No sanding required and no "use adequate ventilation" warning, so it's an easy indoor project in the winter. Check out the colors here: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/transformations

• Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on Jun 04, 2017
    Looks to me like you have a perfectly good and sturdy cabinet. I would suggest you paint it using a chalk paint (little or no prep). You might spend a few bucks adding some hardware (or jewelry as we call it). As for color, pick the color that goes well with you accessories or pick a color from an art piece you hang in there. This would certainly spiffy it up and give you years to live with it.

• Tammy Tammy on Jun 04, 2017
    It appears to still be in good condition so I would start with painting it. Add some handles to the doors for a more finished look.

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Jun 08, 2017
    As others have suggested, paint is an easy and inexpensive option (especially if you get lucky and find a nice mis-mixed paint at the store). If you like the look of wood and simply not the color, you could get a colored polyurethane and refinish it after a light sanding.

There's also a product out there called Unicorn Spit that is basically a stain in a variety of colors. I haven't personally tried it yet, but I have seen some pretty fabulous results. You would need to sand that really well to get the stain to work, I think.

You could do a metallic or paint accent either along the frame or within the frame to make a significant change to appearance without needing to do anything to the cabinet itself. Using gold or silver colored leaf coated in a couple coats of polyurethane would look pretty cool. Coordinate the color with whatever hardware you add.

Or, if you're feeling really ambitious, you could remove the center panels of the doors and replace them with punched metal or something.

Finally, if you need to so something that isn't permanent because it's a rental, there's a plastic product sold in kitchen departments of hardware stores called Fasade that can be applied with double sided foam tape. If you cut it to fit the door panels and attached it with the 3M tapes designed for use with command hooks, you would be able to remove it easily without leaving marks.

Whatever you do, adding hardware (perhaps something unique found at a yard sale or antique store or something) will help make a big difference.