Can I sew a canopy ?

I have a new canopy for my yard swing but it's 5" to wide. Can't return it, so I wondered If I fold it in the middle if I could sew it? i'm concerned it might not be good when it rains. I don't know! If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 06, 2018
    Hi Joyce: I'd try and do that. If you sew at the edges, you will compromise the pockets where the edges are. It shouldn't leak when it rains. If you do sew it down the middle, my choice, once it's sewn and you like the fit, cut along the fold of where you took it in, iron it open and glue it down with a glue that is waterproof, like Aleene's O.k to Wash It, or Beacon's Fabri-Tack. Check the fit before you cut or glue, just to be sure it's the right size. You might try putting the canopy on and checking exactly how much you need to pull it in. Pinch it in and use a chalk line to mark where you pinched, on both sides of the pinch, in about 4 areas. Then, allow a little leeway, i.e., if you pulled in 5", sew it about 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 so you have a little give to put it back on. And, there is a special thread for use outdoors. It lasts longer than regular cotton thread and will work just the same in your machine. Be sure to put it in your bobbin, too:) Good luck. P.S. If it fits just like you want it to, when it finally wears out, you can use it as a pattern and make your own. That's what I do, and I have a choice of colours, too:) Use your coupons to get outdoor canvas. It's not that hard to do, just a big rectangle with edges on it. The pockets are just triangles! You can do this!

• Joyce A Graham Joyce A Graham on Jul 06, 2018
      Thank you for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide me with this info.

• Emmen Emmen on Jul 06, 2018

I’d take it to a professional, you’ll need a commercial heavy duty machine to sew it, most likely, unless it’s really thin material.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 09, 2018

Not a problem, we're here to help:)