Can you paint plastic tables with chalk paint

+3
I have a long table that I need to paint and it is plastic

• Sue Harviel Sue Harviel on Dec 31, 2017
    You can paint anything if you scuff up the surface to give the paint something to grab ahold of and use the right kind of primer.

• DW DW on Jan 01, 2018
    scuff the surface, prime with a kilz primer and paint away........BUT, I’m betting it doesn’t last as long as you will want, unless of course you do all this and just have it for a decoratio, not used...

• Mha28375951 Mha28375951 on Jan 01, 2018
    yes to kilz primer. i used rustolem spray paint for plastic outdoor furniture, but it used a lot of paint and was very pricey

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 06, 2018
    I would use paint and primer in one spray paint for plastic, if you want the chalk paint matte look - use a flat paint.

• EmmaSurf EmmaSurf on Jan 07, 2018
    I've read that you can paint directly over the plastic with chalk paint, but to be safe I used a spray paint for plastic first, let it dry for a day, then painted over it with the chalk paint. This was for the more flexible plastic like outdoor chairs - if you have acrylic or a different plastic, then maybe that is overkill. If there is an inconspicuous place under the table you could paint a test sample, then after a few days you could stress test it and see if it flakes off. Tables get abuse just from the dishes and flatware so I'd also recommend using poly rather than wax to seal the finish to make it more durable.