How to cut the skirt off a couch?

by Ticia

I have a couch and loveseat - yes both - and they are in very good condition but they have that little skirt at the bottom. Looking at the furniture around town, they seem to be doing away with that.

There is a narrow band of trim (sort of) something like piping. Just for a change I thought I might cut off that skirt right under that piping but wonder if there would be loose threads or a shaggy appearance. Has anyone ever done that without redoing an entire chair? As I said, they are both in very good condition. Or maybe I can just turn it under and stable it to see if I like it. Any thoughts? TIA

  8 answers
  • Karen Reed Karen Reed on Sep 07, 2018

    Try turning under then use a staple gun. Post pictures of sofa would help with more ideas

    • See 1 previous
    • Karen Reed Karen Reed on Sep 08, 2018

      Hahaha I didnt notice stable until you pointed it out !! Look at

      They show a tutorial on couch skirt removal

  • Pat Pat on Sep 07, 2018

    I have wondered the same couch has a skirt and I have held it up with my hand and thought stapling might work but couldn't figure out how to do the corners....any ideas.

  • Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Sep 08, 2018

    Go buy a seam ripper at Jo-Ann's and just cut around the skirt with that. You may need some matching trim to cover up the exposed staples.

  • Mona Blake Mona Blake on Sep 08, 2018

    Years ago we had a Labrador who got bored one day. He ripped the skirting off our couch. I ripped the sides off to match. I then used Elmer's glue to place the strings up under the couch, washed the glue off my hands and got a new look!

  • Maude  LaFountain Maude LaFountain on Sep 08, 2018

    Try using one of those little scrapers like people use to take of sticky stuff on glassware...I you can buy them at Walmart they use a single sided razor blade in them and they are very sharp and you can get close to the piping or you can use an exacto knife the same way .

    • Ticia Ticia on Sep 08, 2018

      I may do that since I already have it. Thanks for the suggestion.

  • Esil Reiser Esil Reiser on Sep 08, 2018

    There is a product called fray check. I'm thinking you can buy it at Walmart or Jo-Ann Fabric

  • Maude  LaFountain Maude LaFountain on Sep 08, 2018

    You are welcome

  • Sewcrazy Sewcrazy on Sep 09, 2018

    i work in an upholstery shop. generally we finish off the bottom of a sofa or chair by stapling the fabric up under the piece BEFORE the skirt is attached.

    so you should be able to remove the skirt (and the piping , or "welt") by simply pulling out the staples! if the piece was upholstered correctly you should be left with no unsightly raw edges or strings hanging down.

    • Ticia Ticia on Sep 10, 2018

      Thank you so much for that info; now I think I can tackle this job but not until after hurricane Florence passes.