Help finding the right sealer for my side tables?

+8
Hi all, I'm in the process of redoing 3 side tables for my bedroom. I want to practice the faux marble technique for the tops but my concern is the final finish. One of the tables will go next to a chair where I read and often have coffee, tea or a mug of hot soup. I am looking for a sealer that will handle that amount of heat. I know I've read about it somewhere but I can't find it.  I've tried googling it but I must not be using the right words because I can't find what I want. I would appreciate any ideas?
  • William William on Jun 01, 2017
    There are no heat resistant finishes. Any film forming finish will suffer under high heat. Oil finishes that are built up to a sheen will suffer as well.

• Tammy Tammy on Jun 01, 2017
    Polyurethane would be your best bet. Apply multiple coats, lightly sanding in between. No it won't stand up to high heat but if it can protect kitchen counters I'm sure it can protect your table. Good luck with the faux marble! Would love to see pictures when you're finished.

• See 4 previous
    • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 04, 2017
      Thank you Tammy! I'll keep that in mind.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 01, 2017
    Hmm so it looks like I'll need to up something under anything hot. :( Thanks William.

• William William on Jun 01, 2017
    Its true that polyurethane coatings have come a long way. Doesn't really matter the brand. I did do a Google search on high heat finishes for wood. I found that polyurethanes can handle up to 140 degrees once fully cured. Still may leave a heat ring. The only poly that will handle up to 400 degrees is a catalyzed polyurethane. The application is more serious than regular poly and generally is use in commercial applications. Look at it as spray painting metal with a metal paint versus powder coating.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 02, 2017
    Thank you, William. You input is appreciated. The problem with the polyurethane, as I understand it, is that it turns yellow and with a faux marble top that wouldn't look good. It looks like, unless I change my plans, I'll need coasters for my coffee and anything else hot I might put on that table. Maybe a nice looking padded place mat will work.