Have dark pine distressed cabinets I want to refinish w/o stripping ?

+4
The cabinets are 30 plus years old and I still lovethem and the darkwood is back in style. I bought stain that Ihad matched but want to do as little as possible so Idon't want to completely strip first. Thanks
Kathy

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 25, 2018
    Hi Kloehr,
    If there is a finish on the cabinets, you'll need to strip that off before you can use the stain. Stain will not absorb into a sealer finish. If they are not sealed, get a good cleaner like TSP, clean them up, let them dry and then apply the stain to your liking. Wishing you the best.

• Heje Heje on Jun 25, 2018
    The best bet would be to lightly sand and put on your stain.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 25, 2018
    without stripping the finish your project will not come out correctly

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jun 25, 2018
    If you do not want to do any of that, use steel wool and a deglosser, and then remove all the residue with a textured damp cloth.
    If your cabinets are that old, that may be sufficient. If not, gel stain could be applied over it (read the label), since it is a non-penetrating stain, but you should top coat it. Either way, you will have to do some extra work.