How to make different kinds of chairs look like they belong together?

+2

I have inherited several chairs and a bench to add to my living room. They are not the same wood and fabrics don,t really match . Yikes, where do I start- color?

• Peggy Peggy on Jan 08, 2019

Not all the same.

• Pamela Pamela on Jan 08, 2019

Slip covers might be one idea. How about painting all the wood to match? Depending on the style, some furniture isn't all that hard to reupholster; that way you can match or coordinate fabrics.

• Pamela Pamela on Jan 08, 2019

You can paint the woods all the same color using chalk paint and a wax sealer. Then it the colors on the fabrics don't flash , find material that has a mix of the colors and make throw pillows , to bring it all together. If the colors clash , look on this hometalk site , I have seen several tutorials on painting fabric on furniture. Good luck !!!

• Linda Linda on Jan 09, 2019

It’s not that uncommon to have mis matching chairs and a bench at your dining room table today. However if you want them to be more uniform consider painting them all the same color and putting the same fabric on the cushions.

• Sal3170064 Sal3170064 on Jan 11, 2019

I agree paint the chairs that don't match. Recover the chairs. If they have lose bottoms then these are easy to cover using a stapler. You can also tie in colours if you use a fabric with those colours in. Patterns are harder to use. Some patterns can go together if there is the same colours in it. Some manafactors in curtain fabric often have contracting patterns with same colour combinations.