How can I update my dresser and armoire?

+6

I’ve had this bedroom set since I was in high school. I’m so tired of the look of it but do not want to buy new. I would like to sand it down and white wash it. But it has these shapes designs all over from of it. Any ideas?

q how can i update my dresser and armoire
  • Liz R. Liz R. on Jan 03, 2019

Paint it white. You'll still see the design with a crisp clean look.

• William William on Jan 03, 2019

A ton of ideas from other Hometalkers.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20dresser

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 03, 2019

I agree with Liz. White or very light ecru. If you desire more contrast, paint interior sections in one or more shades which will complement your room's decor.

• E s desanna E s desanna on Jan 03, 2019

Black or charcoal matte or eggshell paint could be elegant, and reminiscent of Louise Nevelson's artwork. This would look very modern, but requires everything else in the room to be simple & uncluttered.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 03, 2019

Chalk paint will be the easiest way to do this. I mix my own (always). Even though people will tell you you don't need to prime, I use a liquid sander/de-glosser to go over the piece. This makes it tacky, then I prime with white bonding primer, and lastly use chalk paint. You don't have to prime first, but I just feel like I get much better result. I also agree to go white. It will look completely different.

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jan 05, 2019

I really like it! Go slow. If you must have a change, then I'd paint the top of the dresser black. ..... and the two plain squares surrounding the pattern on each bottom side, and the plain square on the wardrobe. See how that works for you before destroying all the great wood patterns by painting the whole thing.

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 05, 2019

I agree. I think black accents would really make it pop. The abstact wood chunks really make it interesting and modern, a little black would make it current.

• Dee Dee on Jan 05, 2019

Do not use chalk paint you will not be happy with it. Paint it white, gray or ecru in an eggshell finish. This will give it a little gloss. Use a good stain blocking primer. Use a good brush to get into the crevices. I would not go dark as you will see every speck of dust. It really is a beautiful set.

Another option is to restain the pieces a different color.

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 05, 2019

Hi. It is quite an unusual piece. Since it has a lot of dimension, paint may be quite a task. I suggest you bleach the wood to achieve a lighter look. You can buy wood bleach on line in larger quantities than what is at your local big box store. Good luck!