How do I paint these cabinets

+18
I Have a large kitchen with lots of cabinets, since I am 75 I really don’t wanna have to sand and do a lot of work but my cabinets need painting very badly how good is the chalk paint and will it hold up to kitchen quality the cabinets Usually go through I’ve heard a lot about the chalk paint that I’m just not sure about in the kitchen
q how do i paint these cabinets
Thde are the cabinets that’s in my kitchen what would be a good way to do this and what kind of paint would be the better, Thank you June
q how do i paint these cabinets
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 19, 2018
    do not use chalk paint.research the min wax products

• See 1 previous
    • June June on Jun 22, 2018
      Was just wondering if I use a primer underneath does that mean I can eliminate the sanding? or do I still have to sand its been a long time since I’ve done any kind of painting like this and I sure hate the thought of having to sand those cabinets again I did it once long time ago I still remember it wasn’t fun , But I was revarnishing them at that time LOL

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 19, 2018
    The finish is just not durable enough, in my opinion, to use in a high use area like a kitchen. Plus it tends to look “smudge-y” from all the hands on it.

• See 1 previous
    • June June on Jun 22, 2018
      thanks to wall I really was afraid to use the chalk paint I just kind of thought that would happen, really actually thinking of going with the satin enamel I just trust it in the kitchen a lot more and I can get exactly the color I want too, what do you think ? 😋

• AmyG AmyG on Jun 20, 2018
    I used Fusion Mineral Paint in casement - to paint our cabinets. Prep work is the big key for a successful outcome. Prior to the bright white they were an ivory with a subtle glaze I did in 2004 and wanted a change. Both paints have held up amazing.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 20, 2018
    Had you thought of Shushing them up a bit by either rubbing down those cabinets that have had the finish worn away and re-colouring them using a coloured stain that matches what you have. Or doing that, and then painting or staining the inside of your panels with a contrast colour. You could also make great difference if you changed or painted your handles?

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jun 20, 2018
    June, take one of the cabinet fronts to the paint department of the home improvement store and ask them for advice on paint and application materials for an easy and professional finish.

• Darlene Darlene on Jun 20, 2018
    There is a cabinet refinishing kit at Lowe's or Home Depot. Gives step- by- step instructions. I would ask at the paint department counter.

• June June on Jun 20, 2018
      Thank you Darlene , I will check into that !😊👍

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 22, 2018
    like i statesman wax has products you should be able to use

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jun 22, 2018
    You do not have to sand the cabinets as long as the finish is smooth. You can use liquid sandpaper to make the finish tacky. Just follow the directions and use a generous amount. I often do two coats of liquid sandpaper. Although it is a pain to clean up, I use an oil base primer on cabinets that will get a lot of use. Oil base adheres so much better than latex. With all the work that goes into painting cabinets, for me it is worth the extra aggravation to use the oil based primer. I am sure others will disagree with me, but the oil base holds up and will not flake off. Then use a high quality paint of your choice.

• June June on Jun 22, 2018
      Thank you Debi I think I will try Liquid sandpsper , I have never heard of it ,That sounds good to me LOL, anything it makes a little easier I’m going to be 75 July 1 so I plan on doing this and. probably be doing this on my birthday LOLI know you’re right about the oiL base being better and will hold up longer but frankly I don’t know if I have that kind of drive anymore but we’ll see I have not thought this completely through yet, I really thank you for your help and value your opinion , God bless your day😊

• Emily Emily on Jun 23, 2018
    I would follow John's advice and just perk them up a little. I was amazed one day by the difference I made in an old piece of wood just by cleaning it with a mixture I have had for many, many years of parafin oil, turpentine and I can't even remember the other thing. You would have a mess on your hands with so many cabinets, your age etc.

• See 1 previous
    • Emily Emily on Jun 23, 2018
      O.K. well good luck!

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Jun 23, 2018
    Hi June, I had the same concerns about my cabinets and did a lot of research before painting mine. They have held up like manufacturers finish. They are a lot of work, but not extremely physical labor. 1) clean with TSP 2) Only sand spots that are raised 3) remove hardware 4) prime with Kilz 5) Paint with latex enamel gloss (not eggshell or semi-gloss)
    You can use either an HVLP spray painter which is less work but requires purchasing one and using an air compressor or a very fine nap roller.
    To make the job less exhausting, I recommend breaking up into sections and doing one area at a time.

• See 1 previous
      I hope you heal well!
      What I learned from mine is that the gloss enamel has more hardeners in it than the semi-gloss or satins. I went with the gloss and have had no signs of damage in well over a year of heavy use.
      I can't wait to see pics! I'll post one from mine for your reference. - Laura

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jun 23, 2018
    You cannot just paint your cabinets with chalk paint. Chalk paint itself is for things that are lightly used - not kitchen cabinets. Please, do the prep work, use a good primer and correct paint.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jun 24, 2018
    June, If you do not want to use oil base primer, then use a high quality bonding primer that states on the can something like, "will bond to any surface." Still use the liquid sandpaper. I do 2 coats of primer and at least 2 coats of paint. Be sure to label each door and drawer. I use a piece of masking tape where the door hinge goes and a mark the doors, #1, #2, etc. When you put the hinge back on, it will cover the unpainted area where you put the tape. If you do not mark the doors, you will have a nightmare getting the correct door back in the right spot.

• Happy Days Hometalker Happy Days Hometalker on Jul 06, 2018

Check into the cost of " refacing " them, easier in the long run. Best of luck to you.