How do I refurbish my weather worn park bench?

Wood is damaged. Metal as started to rust. The back has a curved shape wood piece surrounding the metal back design. I want to save this piece.

  5 answers
  • Ken Ken on Jun 15, 2018
    Best if you can remove the wood before refinishing because metal and wood need different care and the wood can rot where it is attached. Sand and wire brush the metal. Use rusted metal primer before painting. I like Rust-Oleum. If the wood is to be a natural finish, use a spar urethane which is made for use on boats. If you are painting the wood, I recommend the same brand or an epoxy paint. For replacement wood white oak is a good choice.

  • Betty Betty on Jun 15, 2018
    I saved all of mine but the wood .took it all apart got New wood spray painted the metal sides .look almost like new .I used flex seal paint on the wood .water does not soak in wood was hard to put on almost like rubber .Good luck

  • Franklinrawley Franklinrawley on Jun 15, 2018
    IF the wood pieces are straight and with the curved back, you still have straight wood pieces suggest that you replace the wood with teak. if not available at your Lowes, you can buy these on line in pre-cut pieces. sand off the metal and use Rustoleum on it as this will stop any further rust.

  • DD DD on Jun 15, 2018
    Hope this helps you complete your project