How do I style my dinning room buffet?

+2

I recently purchased a plain, inexpensive desk to use as a buffet in my dining room. I want it to appear grander and be the focal of the wall where it sits. I’ll include a picture. I plan to remove the round table you see in the pic. Thanks!

q how do i style my dinning room buffet
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 25, 2018

I'd add a longer top, (buffets are long and narrower) then cover with a fine cloth. Put a centerpiece decoration in the center towards the back, then add candles... surround all with tasty food and you're good to go!

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Dec 25, 2018

Depending what your tastes are,

I would make the legs look bigger by wrapping them with 1x4’s or 1x6’s. They can be cut with a jigsaw if you want curves on the leg-enhancements. Screw then in from the backside. Nails won’t stay.

If you want to put cross members on the enhanced legs, then you can add lower shelves.

I would add wood brackets to the sides at the top and put a longer top on it. The top can be anything from hardwood veneered plywood, to tiled “Hardi backer” board to a slab of granite or marble.

If you own a router, I’d special order plastic laminate through a cabinet shop, as what we see at the big box DIY stores is nothing compared to what’s out there. Then I’d lay-up my own laminate top (tutorials available from Formica).

If your tastes are very contemporary I’d look at a top & legs made from stained oriented strand board (OSB) and lots of polyurethane.

It will require edging as would plywood & a laminated top.

• Ginny Ginny on Dec 25, 2018

Dining

Top with a tablecloth that picks up a color or pattern in your dining room. A group (2-3) of crystal or brass candlesticks (Dollar Tree) under hurricane globes (Pier 1) with a silk flower arrangement in one of your favorite containers might look good. Add a mirror over the buffet and your're set.

• Ginny Ginny on Dec 25, 2018

If you use a tablecloth that falls to the floor, you can place plastic storage drawers underneath for serving pieces or any paper goods you keep on hand for entertaining. Look at WalMart or JoAnn Fabric for ends of bolts that might serve as a tablecloth; or a sheet might do as well.