How Do You Paint a Lamp Shade Fitter?

+24
I love the shape color and style of the shade itself but I need the metal part to be silver (not gold). The shade needs to stay the color it is.
I found the perfect color of 'chrome' spray paint but just not sure how to adequately cover / tape off the shade to insure I keep the paint off. Removing the cover from the metal is not an option.
q how do you paint a lamp shade fitter
  • Jackie Gulick-Dunn Jackie Gulick-Dunn on Jun 06, 2017
    I think I would cut thick cardboard strips or poster board and slide the strips under the metal pieces And let them hang over the sides to protect the shade

• Nvs13413459 Nvs13413459 on Jun 06, 2017
    Craft stores have metallic paint.

• Kathy Farnham Sampson Kathy Farnham Sampson on Jun 06, 2017
    It looks like you still have the plastic packaging over the shade. I would leave that on, and then put a layer of saran or other plastic cling wrap over it, making sure to cover all of the shade, but leaving the metal exposed, then spray paint in the color you want. Maybe a couple of coats, let it dry thoroughly, then turn it upside down and do a couple of coats from the bottom.

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
      fortunately I do still have the original plastic On. Good point about turning upside down. I had not considered that Yet.

• Kate Garrett Kate Garrett on Jun 06, 2017
    Rather than paint, have you considered silver leaf? Like gold leaf, silver leaf only sounds prohibitively expensive. The sheets are so thin. Depending on the size of your lamp shade, you may only need 1 or 2 sheets. The rest of the pack (often 10 sheets or more) would then be available for other projects.

• Brenda Brenda on Jun 06, 2017
    Spray paint, consult paint store as to what kind.

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
      I already have the spray paint. Need application suggestions so as to not get it in the fabric shade.

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Jun 06, 2017
    There is a kitchen wrap product that might stick to itself better than Saran type products...called PressNSeal. Do leave the current cellophane wrap on the shade but also use a layer of the PressNSeal, applying it in short and very short pieces until the shade is completely covered. The added benefit? You've got the rest of the roll to use in the kitchen and for other projects.

• See 1 previous
    • Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
      good idea. I have two shades to paint somlukeky will use that whole roll. I like that idea since I would need to turn it upside down to paint the other side of the metal.

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jun 06, 2017
    If she is spraying the frame she needs to protect the inside too. I agree with the clear wrapping but yes, put it on the inside. But the silver leaf idea is the best one so far.

• See 2 previous
    • Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
      Thanks!!

• Robert Robert on Jun 07, 2017
    Personally I would use sheets, or pieces cut from a roll, of brown craft paper or butcher paper. Just run it up through the shade and lap over the top making sure the seam is at the bottom. I've never used plastic wrap to mask anything, seems it would be rather wet and messy. I've also had spray paint melt plastic. (CAUTION) Another suggestion, don't get too caught up in the proper spray paint. Find the silver or chrome you like, rough up the cross bars of the shade with a bit of sand paper (80 grit?) and spray away. It shouldn't take more than 4-6 swipes of the can and you'll be done. Best of luck!

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
      i already have the chrome paint color I want. Good advise about lightly sanding.

• Kathy Hord Kathy Hord on Jun 07, 2017
    Get a Silver Sharpie or another brand. Just Color the metal parts. No need to cover any thing. Except if you "Color Outside the Lines".

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
    Tried the silver paint pen on an old one to test and it didn't work too well. It wasnt smooth enough and the color wasnt consistent. If you have tried it can you let me know your technique?

• Alradborn Alradborn on Jun 07, 2017
    I've used silver nail polish. Return spray paint to store

• Robert Robert on Jun 07, 2017
    Then, go onnn Teresa! Paint that lamp shade metal, wire, dooma-heckie thang!

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 07, 2017
    Thanks. I'm on it!!