How can I make this look better?

+13

I got this from yard sale. This red color makes it looks like it belongs to a store. I can not take off the red to cover with another cover. It's nylon so I afraid paint will chip off if I paint over it. I would like to change to lighter color, or some floral fabric color to make it looks fresh and lovely and cute little shopping basket like it sold in amazon. Any suggestions? Thanks

q how to make it looks better
  • Janice Janice on Dec 26, 2018

You could use a beautiful fabric you love and either use spray adhesive to glue it to the nylon fabric or likely ModPodge would work as ell. You could also simply cut out some designs from fabric, napkins, or paper to dress the red you don't care for up a bit. Another idea is to use some of the decorative duct tape to put your initials on it or a striped design or whatever you like. Get creative!!

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Dec 26, 2018

I would applique pretty fabric on it or your initials on it. Nice find.

• Gk Gk on Dec 26, 2018

You could make a fabric liner in a coordinating fabric that would fit into the basket. Add ties to it so that you can tie it to the frame. You are correct when you say that painting is not a good solution for nylon fabric. I personally think it's cute just the way it is!

• Pamela Pamela on Dec 26, 2018

I would take the chance and paint it !

Or not glue a trim or decorations of some kind into it .

• Julie King Julie King on Dec 27, 2018

You can do a great graphic design on it just using tape and spray paint. Lay out a test sample first so that you know you will like the pattern. That kind of nylon takes to spray paint pretty well but if you're worried you can test a small piece of it.

• Dee Dee on Dec 27, 2018

I think appliques is the way to go! You can purchase them at JoAnn's or Michaels, and just iron them on with stitch witchery.

• I would make a cover for the "outside" if you don't like the red. Fabric of your choice, add outside pockets to it for keys, grocery note, etc. It would stay in place at the top edge with with elastic or tabs to the it to the metal frame. This would be a great addition as well because it can be removed to launder and extend the life of the basket by protecting it.

• Noting Grace Noting Grace on Dec 28, 2018

You could use fabric paint and paint the canvas a different color. I did that to some antique chairs that turned out fabulous!

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 29, 2018

Ann, since you like the idea of duct tape, let me remind you that Duck Tape comes in different widths, and if you go to 2-3 different hobby and hardware stores, you will find Duck and Washington tapes in dozens of designs. Even Dollar Tree has a knockoff brand. You can mix and match a couple or a dozen of these designs to make your basket and its frame look attractive to you, which is all that matters. Please post on Hometalk.com! 😊