How do I paint kitchen cabinets that are a light tan paneling?

• Lorrie Worden Lorrie Worden on Jan 13, 2019

I painted mine, I started with a light sanding of the surface, then a good primer,then the color of your choice. It's easier to paint with the doors off and on saw horses you'll get a smoother finish, I used a small foam roller on the doors get a good quality or the paint will have a texture look to it.

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Jan 13, 2019

Constance,. Start by cleaning the paneling with something like Murphy's oil soap, let dry completely. Next remove the hardware, then the doors. You might need a primer, before you paint. Check with Home Depot, ask the paint department. Paint the doors and drawers, on a flat surface to avoid peeling and streaks. Use a high gloss paint to finish up. Two coats would be best. The hardware, you can spray, or buy new, but it gets pricey. Aloha!

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 13, 2019

Prep is the key. I use a liquid sandpaper/de-glosser. Apply this liberally and follow the directions. You just rub it on with a cloth and wait (see directions on package for time). This makes the surface tacky so it will grab the primer. Use a high quality bonding primer that works for slick surfaces like paneling. I prefer two thin coats of primer instead of one thick coat. You get much better coverage. Then use a paint in a satin or eggshell finish that is washable. Don't cheap out on the paint. It will take a lot of abuse in the kitchen and you don't want your hard work to not hold up.

Make sure you remove the doors and hardware before painting. Start at one end of your cabinets and mark each door number 1, 2, 3, etc. around the room top and bottom. Make a chart if you think you will forget how you labeled the doors. Write the number in marker under where the hinges go. Then cover the number with a small piece of painters tape. After you finish painting, remove the tape and beginning with number 1, attach the hinge and hang the door before moving to the next one. Even though the doors may look the same, each one has slightly different

hinge alignment. It is a nightmare trying to figure out which door goes where if you don't mark them.