How to refinish dresser and night stands with chalk paint.

+2
I want to tefinish oak bedroom furniture. I want the new colors to blend with the beige Ikea desk and cabinet in other rooms.
q how to refinish dresser and night stands with chalk paint
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jun 22, 2018
    Remove drawers and hardware. Buy your paint (I like Rustoleum chalk paint, but there are lots on the market), wipe down the furniture (let dry), then paint, do a light sanding after it dries, paint again, another sanding, etc. Do this until you achieve the look you want. Seal it with a water based polycrylic (Min Wax makes one that I like in a blue can). I use my Black & Decker Mouse sander to achieve the right look.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jun 22, 2018
    you don't have to pay the price for trendy 'chalk' paint -- you can use a flat latex and a glaze for much less ... https://mockingbirdhillcottage.com/2013/02/chalk-paint-not-so-much/ and just as pretty .... but the secret to any successful paint job is the preparation ... CLEAN! ( free of wax, etc. ); use a 'deglosser' - Jasco makes a great one, as does KrudCutter; remove and paint or replace the hardware; be sure piece is in good repair -- clue/clamp drawers or feet, or panels that may be 'wobbly' or 'out of square' ...

• Gerianne Gerianne on Aug 01, 2018

I know the right prep work is the key to any repainting. I have painted over laminate by sanding first, remove any dust then coat with primer - I always used Kilz. First light even coat, let dry, second coat should covering streaks or gaps, again let dry over night. Then I used a latex paint for new color and did finish with a poly to seal. I even lightly sponged top of vanity with three muted shades I used in the room, walls, trim & cabinet in a small even pattern like faux granite with poly finish. It turned out great, people were amazed! But that was several years ago, and I see people are using other products for prep with great results. I want to refinish a desk cabinet that I would say is a composite wood with a stain-like finish but it's not real wood. You know the Sauders products? It's a big piece, mission style so I think an update to a chalk or antique finish would work. I'm just not sure what process to use for prep and finish. I'm older now-not as confident so I'll take any advice or tips before I tackle this. What do you think?

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Aug 02, 2018
    Sounds like you're right on track -- 'particle' board if it's in good condition will accept any finish you choose -- I'd use the same techniques for this piece and it will be just fine! I was just saying that there's nothing 'magic' about Chalk paint -- -- it's just a fad name for a very flat/chalky looking surface -- just my personal opinion !! https://www.addicted2decorating.com/why-i-dont-use-chalk-paint.html