How can I restain wood without sanding?

+3

Have bedroom set which was first coated with Old English oil and then stained with light walnut, which now is the color of dark mahogany. I want a lighter stain and don't want to have to re-sand eveything, if I can avoid it! Thanks.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 26, 2018

No matter what you do with them, some sanding will be involved, whether you strip it and restain, or paint it. Chalk paint may be the only thing doesn't involve at least a little sanding.

• You could try Homer Formby's Furniture Refinisher. It may lighten it a bit. Try an inconspicuous spot first, Jeanne.

• Gk Gk on Dec 26, 2018

It is hard to go lighter without sanding or stripping. It's just about impossible actually.

• William William on Dec 26, 2018

Can't stain to a lighter color without sanding down to raw wood.

• Jo Ann Stidman Jo Ann Stidman on Dec 27, 2018

Checkout Fushion Mineral Paint. On Facebook site " Paint It Beautiful" is a world of knowledge of painting/ staining, etc.

opened up a whole new world for me for advice from professionals. Not just for painting also staining.......check it out u won't be sorry. You can post your question or do a search

• Jeanne Jeanne on Jan 14, 2019

Thank you, and apologies for the delay in responding - the holidays seemed to have derailed me.