How do I stain marble?

I have my grandmother's Early American coffee and end tables. They have removable marble tops and I want to change their color. I want to re-do all of the pieces to a shabby-chic look but do not know how to stain the marble.

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Jan 04, 2019

Rather than staining the marble, replace the marble with 3/4 plywood cut to size and paint or stain that. List the marble slabs on Craigslist instead and make some money for yourself and thrill someone who would love to have real marble slabs.

• See 2 previous
    • In my opinion, yes. And I agree with Lynn too. I would seek out a reputable appraiser before you do anything. Even if they turn out not to have significant "vintage" or "antique" value, they were still made with quality hardwood that is very expensive. As Lynn mentioned, deforestation is a problem, worldwide, not just in North America. Severe drought, pest infestations, etc. If not worth anything, both Twyla and Lynn provided excellent options for you. I would refinish and keep in the family with or without the marble. You can always use the marble for another project or sell to another crafter or DIY enthusiast. And have fun with the project! 🌞

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Jan 04, 2019

You'll need to sand stone first and I think(since they are loose if they are not to big) heating the pieces in oven,slowly) instead of with heat gun would work better then put on dye.....WAX method Water based dye is using for that process.add dye and paraffin and mix it until the wax melts.Heat the tile with a heat gun , how much hotter the tile is good to absorb stain.apply the mix and wait for complete cool. polish the tile with a clean rag.add colors more if you want more dark.when you finish the staining scal the marble with a stone or scalant stone. MORE INFO Mix the dye and paraffin in the cup over the hot plate until the wax melts and the dye is completely incorporated. Start with about 8 oz. of paraffin, then add dye in small batches until you see the color you want. Add rubbing alcohol slowly while mixing until the consistency is smooth but not dribbling. When you lift out your brush, the stain should form an unbroken stream as it falls off the brush.

Step 2

Heat the marble tile with a heat gun or iron set on the highest temperature for at least five minutes. If you use an iron, set the iron directly on the stone for best heat transfer. Keep the heat moving so you don't create one hot spot -- instead, try to heat the entire tile at once. The hotter the tile, the more easily it will absorb the stain.

Step 3

Brush on the stain quickly and evenly with the sponge brush. Don't slop or splash, but brush evenly across the entire surface of the tile. Keep the remainder of the stain on the hot plate so the paraffin will remain liquid. Wait for the tile to cool completely.

Step 4

Polish the surface of the tile with a clean rag until it shines. Apply additional coats if you want a darker color. Repeat the heating and staining process as many times as necessary.

Step 5

Seal the marble with a stone and marble sealant when you finish staining. This will lock the color in and protect the marble from other stains. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for using the seal.

There ia another Gel method but this is suppose to work better. Remember any info. you get online you take a chance on it not working/not working right hope you don't mess up your/grandmothers heirlooms/pices of furniture