I have a old chest and I'd like to whitewash it,how hard would that be

+2
We are moving so this is the only part I could get to😳
q i have a old chest and i d like to whitewash it how hard would that be
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 29, 2018
    Hi Irvina, I would sand it down first with fine grit sand paper and then use a 50/50 mix of white acrylic paint and water, that will make a nice white wash.

• Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Jun 29, 2018
    After sanding you could dry brush the chalk paint on.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 30, 2018
    After cleaning and sanding, you could “pickle” the wood by washing it with white vinegar. If you could dry it in the sun it would be much lighter. Give plenty of time to dry. Then you could leave it, whitewash (with diluted paint), paint it, Unicorn SPiT it, or use any number of other treatments. That looks like a beautiful chest that would enhance any room. You could even attach sturdy legs for another look. Best wishes, ☺️

• Nina Nina on Jun 30, 2018
    Your chest looks like mine. It is a late 1930's - early 1940's cedar chest/hope chest. Cleaned-up, you might like the natural wood; mine is beautiful.

• Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Jul 20, 2018

No, no, no...don't paint this beauty. You have a lovely "waterfall" cedar chest, probably a vintage Lane.

Clean it gently and, then, If you have to, strip it. Stripping will remove most of the "finish" that is covered on it . The "waterfall" part of the piece is a veneer that is "wrapped" on the curved edges. You have a lovely piece that can be brought back to it's glory,