How to paint over mahogany lacquered furniture?

+2
Looking to change it up a bit on my ownand was thinking of using chalk paint. Do I have to sand it down first? or can I just paint over it.
q i have mahogany lacquered furniture
q i have mahogany lacquered furniture
q i have mahogany lacquered furniture
  • Heje Heje on Jun 12, 2018
    Chalk paint will usually adhere to almost anything. Do a test patch to be sure and prime if needed.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jun 12, 2018
    you may need to scuff up the finish to get the paint to stick... if you don't want to hand sand... you could try a commercial "Liquid Sandpaper" type of product.

• Nonni Nonni on Jun 12, 2018
    Stained wood can bleed through most paint. Usually before painting with paints other than chalk paint, you have to prime with a primer made to go over stained wood. Zinsser Bin is one you can use. It has shellac in it. I don't know about chalk paint needing a primer. If you use regular paint, use acrylic latex enamel. The shinier the paint, the harder the finish. It is also easier to clean if need be. Use a quality 3-4" paint brush and a good quality paint. It makes a difference in the quality of the paint job. you can use a small roller to make the job go faster. But it will look better and be easier to clean if you roll a section and then smooth the paint with a brush stroke going in one direction-in a stripe pattern. Don't keep going back and forth with the brush. Check for drips before going on to another section. Good luck.

• Bijous Bijous on Jun 13, 2018
    1. Chalk paint has either plaster-of-paris or some other ingredient that makes it a thicker paint and one that hides mild scratches and dents.
    2. It levels nicely - if - you follow the directions.
    3. There does need to be a sealer used as the plaster is soft.
    4. Paint a scrape piece of wood and see if you like the paint before you tackle all your furniture. Happy painting!

• Jenni Ingram Jenni Ingram on Jun 14, 2018
    I would recommend doing a scuff sanding first. For mahogany pieces it will probably need a coat of stain blocking primer if you are going to paint it a light color. Here's a hutch I did recently in this same way, https://www.hometalk.com/36963257/antique-white-hutch-transformation?r=2