I have two wingback chairs. One green and one mauve. I want to paint

+2
the material is velvet. Can I paint them?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 29, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/17816015/how-to-paint-velvet-upholstery-the-easy-way

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 29, 2017
    there is is a fabric paint. But I would think the velvet would get hard when painted. if the velvet is a light color you may try dying the Material. Be sure you follow directions so the color doesn’t bleed onto clothing.

• Sue Elrod Sue Elrod on Dec 30, 2017
    Years ago I had a barrel back side chair with wicker back/sides. There was also fabric in the middle back and the back of the chair was also fabric. In the heat of the summer one year I got this idea to change it's color from standard GOLD - '70's = and so I bought dark green Rit/dye and mixed it well in hottest water. Vacuumed the chair throughly = sat the chair out in the warm/hot California sun and used a sponge and gloves to throughly cover/soak the gold with green dye/Rit. And, if it did not dry totally the day I put the Rit on....I brought it in under my covered patio and sat it out again the next day, etc until it dried.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 06, 2018
    I have painted several chairs (never velvet though) with chalk paint. You do 50/50 water/paint. I bought Waverly brand chalk paint at Walmart for $6 a bottle (craft department). Have a spray bottle with water to keep the piece wet during paint/water application. It takes 4-6 coats of watered down paint, let it completely dry in between each coat (overnight usually). Then apply wax or water based polycrylic to seal - lightly sand after the paint it done and in between each dry coat to smooth. Here's a chair that I did last year: