I've posted about these chairs before, but I have another question.

+4
I'm covering these chairs with a new fabric that has a bit of very deep red in it so I painted the wood a very deep red. Before painting, I used a gray primer, BIN Ultimate Stain Blocker. But because I was afraid I'd always have to worry about chipping, I decided I didn't want painted wood, but want to remove the paint (4 coats!) and then use a deep red stain instead. So, yesterday I started the stripping process with Strip-eze. Since the wood is mostly flat (rounded on the edges), I thought it would be a cinch. It's been YEARS since I've stripped any paint. I'm not a super patient person when it comes to projects. I want to get them done quickly but it seems I have a mess on my hands. Is there some kind of shortcut or tip I don't know about in getting this done quicker than it's going? I'm doing the work on a table on my deck. I feel like I haven't allowed myself enough room to spread things out -- or something. Since the directions on the Strip-eze say to use in a well ventilated area, it seemed that outside would make more sense. But it's not exactly balmy weather outside, either. :-(
q i ve posted about these chairs before but i have another question
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 29, 2017
    The stripper should have on the back the temperature range it can work in, if its too cold it probably won't be as efficient. Not exactly a winter project for outdoors. Can you leave them till spring when it warms up?
    Not familiar with Strip-eze but the new non-caustic strippers don't work too good, I have had better luck covering those strippers with plastic wrap. You could call around some furniture refinishers and see if someone has a dip-tank you could take them too.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    Try using Citristrip. It's safer, low VOC.

• Kim Kim on Dec 29, 2017
    You could use an electic sander to get most of the paint off and then stripper for the hard to get to areas.
    😊

• Tracy Floer Tracy Floer on Dec 30, 2017
    Try a heat gun and strip that way love it, so much easier no chemicals

• Russ Clay Russ Clay on Dec 30, 2017
    Citri-strip is a good stripper. I am assuming you have taken off all the fabric and poly and are working on a wood frame only.
    These type of frames are very easy to sand. Be VERY sure to use goggles and a dust mask since chemicals are already introduced. These modular frames are also very easy to disassemble, making the job super easy. Wish you well, I'm sure your project will come out great.

• Kathy Inman Kathy Inman on Dec 30, 2017
    A really good homemade stripper (inexpensive) is denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner. Mix 50/50. Mix small amounts as you go. If you let it sit over time it can evaporate. Apply and allow to sit 15-20 min then scrape off. Use steel wool to get into tight spots. Steel wool is great for a final wipe, too. You might need to sand lightly with 220 grit as the grain can raise slightly. This is all I use. Works great for me. Hope this helps!

• Julie White Julie White on Dec 31, 2017
    HEAT GUN! I used to have two chairs like that.....loved them!