I want to paint a scene on the drawers of a long, mid century dresser.

+3
The wood is a shinny beige. I'm not sure if it's a veneer or just really shinny paint. How do I get my paint to adhere to it? I use acrylic tube paints. FYI: I could repaint the drawers any light color and then paint the scene.....or can I simply paint on the shinny finish?
  • Nancy Cate Barnes Nancy Cate Barnes on Jun 09, 2017
    Deglosser is sold in hardware stores...Menards, Lowes, Home Depot. Check it out.

• Claire Amirault Claire Amirault on Jun 09, 2017
    i am a folk art painter and I paint on everything, even plastic. The key is the prep work. You must sand anything that is shiny. I use a small hand sander to just get rid of that shine. That's all you need to do. I'm very careful with veneer because if the surface is too wet when you paint it can lift that vaneer and you don't want that. Take your time and almost use a dry brush technique if you suspect the piece is A veneer piece. Good luck, and it should be beautiful.

• Shelia Shelia on Jun 09, 2017
    Have you tried sandpaper and primer?

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 09, 2017
    You can probably look under the drawer to see if the surface is veneer, but that's a moot point. Light sanding and a good wipe-down should have you ready for your project. If I were you, I'd prime it with something. Maybe gesso.