I want to paint our wood dining room table, what is the toughest paint

+3
want to update our wood table & chairs by painting them black. They get daily use, so I need paint that will adhere well. What's the best technique to do it?
  • Delynn Coleman Delynn Coleman on May 26, 2017
    I refinished our wood table of 40yrs and used a good polyurethane finish. It has withstood everything the grands could throw at it and still going strong after 6 yrs.

• Diane Van Horn Diane Van Horn on May 26, 2017
    The most important thing to do to make sure your paint sticks and is durable is prepping. I have painted lots of wood furniture black and find the best paint to use is oil based Rustoleum. It can go right over the wood without using primer just make sure to rough up the old finish by sanding to that it has "tooth" for the paint. You can use either the spray type or the brush type of Rustoleum. If you are doing black the best look is to get the Satin finish Rustoleum, which is in most larger home improvement stores. The only down side is that it takes a little longer to dry and smells so use good ventilation or paint outside.

• Dmotan Dmotan on May 26, 2017
    Black will show every fingerprint no matter what type of paint you use. Satin is better than high gloss but just be ready to wipe everything down after the grandchildren or children leave. Just the nature of the color.
    I have black bar chairs in my kitchen and little fingerprints and every speck of dust shows.
    Don't want to be so negative, but perhaps there is a color you may be happier choosing.
    Wish you well with your project.

• Crz2408047 Crz2408047 on May 27, 2017
    Thank you all for your advice!

• Crw4444 Crw4444 on May 27, 2017
    I would go to Sherwin Williams; they make the BEST paint and can advise you about the process needed to get a great finish that will last.

• Slew Dee Slew Dee on May 28, 2017
    I used high gloss BenMoore "aura" 2 coats and covered with 2 coats of high gloss polyurethane. Love it! Easily done.