Makeover '50's Dresser- any suggestions?

+25
This was my parent's dresser. Originally it was black with a lacquer finish. Mom painted it in the '90's. I'd like to redo the dresser in a contemporary style and the wooden knobs have got the go (originally I think it had silver)! Any suggestions? Thanks!
q makeover 50 s dresser
Too many knobs! The small vertical knobs going down the center were silver and the 3 horizontal knobs was actually a curved wooden piece with a silver metal wrap - about 3 inches wide - in the center with which to open the drawer
q makeover 50 s dresser
These are large drawers, but the middle section is grooved to have the appearance of smaller drawers in the center.
  • Ennarual Ennarual on Jul 07, 2018
    Youre right Rows of vertical knobs. I would take them off, fill the holes and the grooves and paint it. The put what drawer pull you pick in the center of the drawer.

• Laurie Laurie on Jul 07, 2018

Or could replace the knobs with library type pulls to replicate an apothecary chest. Dark stain. Is it actually wood under there or plywood? Most of the old furniture avaiable where I live (western Canada) is not old enough to have any real wood. 😞

• Bijous Bijous on Jul 08, 2018

It's all wood. At the time of purchase we lived where the majority of furniture was manufactured in the US. Thanks for the idea!

• Lea10012150 Lea10012150 on Jul 08, 2018

I would router the other drawers to match them to the drawers that look like smaller drawers and definitely lose a lot of the knobs.

• Always the oddball, I love all the knobs! Gives the piece character, I would embrace and highlight them! Otherwise it turns into a vanilla ho hum dresser just like anything else out there. Either paint the knobs (metallic would look pretty), embellish them, switch them out for something sparkly. My vote is to keep them.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jul 08, 2018
    I LOVE the knobs!!! i'd make it all bright colors, with complementary color knobs and use it in a child's room ... it's a really fun piece!!!

• Bijous Bijous on Jul 08, 2018

Ah, to have little ones again. But, no. No kiddie bedrooms in this house. Thanks, though!

• Lib33593976 Lib33593976 on Jul 08, 2018
    Sponge paint in bright colors!

• Mann Made Mann Made on Jul 08, 2018
    You could use a metallic spray paint on the knobs. (Or remove them altogether and replace with handles of your choice.) You'd need to fill the holes left behind and in the grooves with wood filler. In the center large drawers, because of the size, they could get heavy so you'll need a sturdy handle. If you decide to keep the knobs, leave the center knob. Sand until all wood filler "overflow" is evened out. Clean well and paint it a color that compliments your walls. Metallics are supposed to be "in" now. I can't use them because I have family heirloom antiques.

• Mann Made Mann Made on Jul 08, 2018
    Oops. While was writing that long dissertation, Laurie and Cel beat me to the punch

• Joan Joan on Jul 08, 2018

I love the knobs. I think that's what makes the piece so unique. I would paint the dresser one shade of a color you like and paint the knobs a few shade darker.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Aug 01, 2018
    Wow - never seen so many knobs on one piece of furniture! I would remove the knobs, choose new pulls/knobs and fill the holes on the dresser with wood filler, sand. Paint the dresser with chalk paint (Rustoleum makes a good, affordable chalk paint). Use a water based polycrylic to seal it.

• Lisa Hunt Lisa Hunt on Aug 01, 2018
    I would paint the whole thing a bold contemporary color, then use a coordinating contact paper or wallpaper on the big drawers. Then you could use anotger solid color or solid paper on the center drawers, even alternating on each "stripe". If you want to lose some knobs, you can easily fill in the holes before painting or covering.
    If you want to go feminine, you can use a damask pattern with crystal knobs, or if you want more of a neutral, clean look, you can use a geometric pattern with metal knobs or cup pulls.

• Tracy Tracy on Aug 01, 2018
    I would cover the face of the larger drawers with embossed paper borders trimmed to fit. It will cover all the holes. I would paint the dresser cinnabar red & maybe a light stain on top of that. I would try to find some Asian style handles for the large drawers or make your own with some bamboo that you do find & paint. Polycoat everything.

• Holly Holly on Aug 01, 2018
    It truely is a unique piece. It is in great condition why don't you embrace it for what it was ? Restore it back to it's original black shiny lacquered paint with the silver knobs and leave it alone or put your own special spin on you piece and paint a silver line where the divot lines are on the drawers.

• Bijous Bijous on Aug 03, 2018

I thought of that. Just don't know about the lacquer. That's one medium I've never worked in.

• Holly Holly on Aug 03, 2018

I'm sure you could go to any paint store (not a box store) and talk with a professional and perhaps there are different methods to achieve that look your wanting.Maybe it could be as simple as paint and then a coat of a high gloss finish.You should try before you get in a tizzy,and see what they say before taking on this task because it is a beautiful piece and you don't want to be disappointed.