Painting dining room chairs

+4
Want to paint theses dining room chairs, but not sure how to take the back cushion off. Without damaging the backs also.
q painting dining room chairs
Want to paint these dining room chairs, but not sure how to remove the back cushion.
q painting dining room chairs
Really like the backs & don't want to damage them.
  • Crystle Gibson Crystle Gibson on Dec 03, 2017
    Someone else may know how to remove them, but I wouldn’t. I would tape them off with painter’s tape. The tape can be used on the back cushion as well.
    ome tip...wipe the back with a little white vinegar and water mix to remove any dirt or oil before taping. That will give the tapegood adhesion.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 03, 2017
    That's beautiful fabric on the chairs. Personally, I'd take them to an upholsterer to have them removed and then put back on after you've painted. I don't think I could tape them well enough to not get some paint on the trim. To me it would be $$ well spent.

• William William on Dec 03, 2017
    I agree with Crystle! I wouldn't try! It looks like the molding on the back is tacked in holding the cushion in. The cushion can also be stapled under the molding. The molding can easily be damaged trying to remove it. One slip and you can poke a hole in the cushion. I would use painters tape around the border. Use newspaper for the front and back of the cushion.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 03, 2017
    You did not say.... are you planning to change the fabric as well as paint the chairs??

• Geri Geri on Dec 06, 2017
      No I wouldn't be changing the fabric. I like it & its still in good shape.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 06, 2017
    Because of the cane-ing on the back.. you are probably wanting to remove the back and seat cushions.. .GENTLY see if you can slip a butter or knife (for eating) NOTHING with a sharp point... under the molding on the back... and CAREFULLY ..a little bit at a time try and lift the molding on the back of the chair.. if it does not lift easily... STOP... Now go to the front of the chair and look at what looks like double beading (like the single row around the bottom of the seat cushion) Sometimes upholsterers use the 2nd row to conceal the staples or tacks holding the seat back on the chair... see if this is so.. carefully remove the staples......if you cannot find out how to take the back apart... you will have to think about recovering the chair if you want to paint the caneing on the back.