How can I paint over Formica kitchen cabinets?

+2

So old and dated...and on a budget.

• Or Misgav Or Misgav on Jan 23, 2019

Maybe you can glue a wallpaper on top of it?

Or with a sponge paint with acrylic colors?

either way, sand it before and wash it completely, so the paint will not fall off in time

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jan 23, 2019

We've had a lot of success lately with Fushion mineral paint. I second the idea of a light sanding first to deglaze the surface and give the paint something to bite on. Once mineral paint cures, it is pretty tough and durable.

• Natalie Natalie on Jan 23, 2019

On formica, you really need to use a bonding primer. Formica is known to resist paint, so only scuff sanding won't cut it.

Make sure to scrub the cabinets of grease, oil and build up with dawn dish soap or something that will cut through all that grease. Then and scuff sand before you prime.

Then I would use an enamel product like Sherwin Williams Trim and Door Paint. It is super tough and will withstand the constant use of kitchen cabinets. And it doesn't need top coated.

General Finishes has a paint called enduro pigmented poly that is super tough as well, but its supposed to only be sprayed on.

You could use chalk paint, but you'll need to top coat it (I wouldn't use wax topcoat in a kitchen) with water based poly. I prefer Varathane brand.

Whatever you do, just remember that the prep work before painting is the most important.

• Jenni Ingram Jenni Ingram on Jan 23, 2019

I'd recommend using this method: https://rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/kitchencabinetmakeover/

The primer I used will stick to anything!

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 30, 2019

Hi Michaelangelo: If the surface is shiny, you will need to dull it a bit. You can get a product called liquid sandpaper. One brand is Klean-Strip Easy Liquid Sander. You just rub it on, let it dry and then paint. Here is the Home Depot site for this product. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Easy-Liquid-Sander-QWN285/100112667 They also sell a paint especially for kitchen cabinets. Good luck