Leather couch cushions beyond repair?

+38
This couch is in great shape, except the cushions have seen better days. Any way to replenish the wear?
  • MaryStLouis MaryStLouis on Jan 11, 2015
    You can use leather cleaner and leather lotion to renew it. Amazon has several products available but you can also purchase these products at shoe and boot stores. You'll be amazed at how much better they'll look with some TLC.

• Lori Lori on Jan 11, 2015
    People paint leather, so I've read. If nothing you try works you could buy a complimentary colour and make new covers for the seats. There is so much to choose from out there.

• This isnt about the ' replenishing'...you might have to keep up on it a bit . I was wondering if you considered other options ? .....I had a similar couch, and had removable covers sewn for it...you can decide the color(s) and fabric! I had a solid on one side, and a classic print on the other ...twice the wear and washable. Worth the investment :)

• @Shelby @ The Weathered Barn Studio , thanks! Yep, debating on recovering and making my own covers with another fabric or leather (I've done them before, but don't relish the idea).

• Shari Shari on Jan 11, 2015
    If you have any "tack" stores in your area (for all you non-horsey people, those are shops that sell English or western saddles, bridles, riding boots or other equestrian-related leather goods, etc.) you can buy leather cleaner and conditioner there too. That should work on the arms and back cushions since they don't really look bad, at all. However, if it doesn't improve the seat cushions to your satisfaction, it would not be too difficult to cover them. Leather sofas with fabric seats are more common that you might think. If you don't sew (or don't know anyone who does), you could always wrap them like a present and use duct tape on the *down* side to secure the fabric. Your fabric choices are endless. You could use a micro-suede type fabric in a color similar to the leather, a totally different color, or even use a coordinating print.

• @Shari , thank you for the wonderful insight! I'm all about sewing and redoing, but wanted to try to revive them first. I find leather remnants on ebay, but know it'll be hard to match them up. Hmmmm....

• Lola Lola on Jan 11, 2015
    They sell leather dyes or you can try maybe a cowhide print on the cushions made out of microsuede. It would be easy o take the cushions to an upholstery shop and see how much they would charge just for the cushions covers or my personal favorite is using old quilts or quilt prints to cover the cushions like Anthropologie furniture

• Anny Palanzi Anny Palanzi on Jan 12, 2015
    If you've sewn leather before and know it can be a pain, just use leather on the top part of the cushion and a heavier matching or contrasting fabric for the sides and bottom...just a thought.

• Susan Melton Susan Melton on Jan 12, 2015
    I would not try to match. Do something fun, animal prints are in, corduroy or denim would work. Make matching throw pillows to pull it all together. If you use denim use old jeans to make pillows. Use top of jeans just cut legs off. Pockets, zippers, snaps, etc will tie in with the hardware on couch.

• Lola Lola on Jan 13, 2015
    Buckeyes all the way.

• Carole Carole on Jan 13, 2015
    Do the cushions come off and if so, what is the state of the reverse side of the cushions? If the reverse is OK can you not turn them over so the worn side does not show? Or as someone else suggests use a complimentary fabric and just cover the tops of the cushions. May need a bit of sewing and if the cushions are not removable, that would be a bit awkward.

• Lisa Daly Lisa Daly on Jan 13, 2015
    I' m thinking a dark brown velour/velvet fabric for cushions and maybe some new foam filling from a haberdashery(the block type) they will cut it to fit for you, and maybe some saddle wax and a good buffing on the rest

• Marion Nickols Marion Nickols on Jan 13, 2015
    I had a similar situation where I purchased a sofa for $10.00 because their dog ate the side of the leather custion. I fortunately found perfect matching faux leather and you cannot tell the difference. I was also considering using tapestry upholertry if I could not get it fixed and also having several toss pillows made in the same material to tie it all in together.

• Kayo Frazier Kayo Frazier on Jan 15, 2015
    If the couch doesn't have any rips, or really worn down bits that the leather has frayed you should be good to go.There are 2 products on Amazon that you need to get, both will help restore your couch. Leather Honey Leather Cleaner. Leather Honey Leather Conditioner. Your couch is big so I would get the biggest bottles. I am an amateur bootblack & have been using these products on all kinds of shoes, boots, even other leather pieces biker's jackets or vests. AMAZING products! One more thing DO NOT use Lexol Leather Cleaner! Over the long term this product will destroy your leather.

• Lori Jackson Lori Jackson on Jan 15, 2015
    I would upholster the cushions in a fabric that picks up the leather color and fits your style and decor. Me? Something earthy, maybe a plaid.

• Tracy Shudo Tracy Shudo on Jan 17, 2015
    I was looking on line for fixing leather couch and came across these 2 sites, take a look. 1st one is www.rubnrestore.com lost of info on line for this product next one is Magic Mender. Look these up if anyone is thinking of helping colour or their leather or even changing the colour. Enjoy

• Ilona Elliott Ilona Elliott on Jan 17, 2015
    We had our cushions to our burgundy leather couch recovered in a burgundy and gold tapestry and it is very pretty, matches a recliner we had recovered in the same fabric. An auto upholstery guy did it for around 150 bucks. I think leopard would look awesome on your couch.

• Cynthia Jensen Cynthia Jensen on Jan 18, 2015
    You can fix it, just google it on you tube. Here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlPyMI9EnEw

• Joanmarie Joanmarie on Jan 18, 2015
    I had a similar situation with an old leather couch that I thought was gone for sure. I used Leather Honey Cleaner, which I bought on Amazon and left it on for a day. I'm telling you, I was amazed! The cushions were restored. Try it before you go through the hassle of recovering them. Its about $16 for a bottle and will do the entire couch. Worked for me.

• Mary Mary on Jan 18, 2015
    leatherrepairkits.com has an awesome site and has video tutorials on how to use the products for which kind of repairs/restoration!

• Marc Fisher Marc Fisher on Jan 18, 2015
    Most factory furniture cushions arent covered with the same fabric or leather on the bottoms. Reupholstered cushions usually have the same fabric on the bottoms. There's a relitively new material out called "Recycled Leather" It has genuine leather mixed in it somehow. It comes in 100's of colors. It retails for about $36.95 a yard. Visit your local upholstery shop and take a cushion with you and see if they can match it. It usually takes about a yard of fabric to recover a cushion, or they can just replace the top section of the cushion. We charge about $55 labor per cushion at my upholstery shop. This will be a good time to replace the foam in the cushions as well. Then your couch will look good as well as sit good.

• Cindy Miller Cindy Miller on Jan 18, 2015
    there is a stain kit just for leather makes it look brand new again its abt 50 dollars for the kit

• Fran McCarty Fran McCarty on Jan 19, 2015
    It looks like the leather just needs reconditioned. There are products available for this.

• Eddy Foster Beard Eddy Foster Beard on Oct 19, 2015
    Leather repair is actually rather easy. You can find excellent products to restore your leather to new condition. Go to http://www.leatherworldtech.com/LeatherColorChart.aspx?CategoryID=1&CategoryName=Acura%20%20Honda and watch the videos to see how it is done. Then order the needed products. There are also other companies that have professional supplies. If you search http://www.youtube.com and look for "leather repair" you can see excellent videos that will show how to solve about any problem you may have with your leather furniture. After you recolor the leather if the cushions are sagging do youtube.com search for "sagging couch cushions". You are sure to find some tips to help you fix the problems. Good luck.

• Dee Dee on Oct 19, 2015
    I would recover the cushions in an accent fabric.

• Kathy Cerwin Kathy Cerwin on Dec 21, 2015
    Paint it with chalknpaint

• I have been in the business for years, find a good fabric you like that matches and recover the cushions.

• Linda Linda on Apr 01, 2017
    Hi Larissa
    i hope you see this post. Click on this link and you will see how to restore your leather couch.

http://www.hometalk.com/diy/living-room/furniture/leather-couch-makeover-28435925

let me know if you have any questions after reading my post.