Replace or redo cane back chairs?

+3
some of the cane chairs have a tear..don’t want to spend a lot of $$ not time since these will be extra chairs.😬
q replace or redo cane back chairs
  • Gaynell Gaynell on Jun 29, 2018
    How do u repair a torn cane back/seat?

• Marissa Morin Marissa Morin on Jun 29, 2018
    You can get already caned backing to replace the back. Being the person I am, I would take it to someone who does caning and that kind of work. I don't know how much it would cost, but on nice chairs, spare or not, I would rather do it right. Who knows when one of your non torn chairs gets ripped and you need the spare.

• Rob32328534 Rob32328534 on Jun 29, 2018
    Hi Denise, those are structurally lovely! The seats probably have screws on the bottom and can be covered easily by removing them and.stapling or tacking new cloth over them. This might sound off- beat and maybe won't work for your tears, but Ive patched old wicker chairs by taking apart wicker baskets and retrofitting pieces in. You might be able to find similar material at a thrift store basket stack and carefully gluing it in places. If you paint or stain to match it won't show much and being the backs, won't be stressed much either.Hope this helps!

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Jun 29, 2018
    I was an antique furniture dealer, and did some chair recaning. You can buy sheets of prewoven caning and all the supplies you would need online. It is not hard to do, not expensive, not too time consuming. It comes in a natural color so once done you would need to stain it to match the wood. You can even find instructions online for doing it. Google caning supplies and you will find a ton of places to buy and instructions on DIY.