Should an antique dresser be painted or re stained to its color?

+6
Old antique dresser has scratches...Cannot decide what to do...Do not want to lose value in the dresser
q should an antique dresser be painted or re stained to its color
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jan 06, 2018
    as soon as you touch it in any way you will affect the value. If you cannot live with the scratches, do whatever you would like to give the piece new life and what fits with your decor/skill level

• Marty Phelps Marty Phelps on Jan 06, 2018
    Will you eventually sell this piece? If you plan to enjoy it, and keep it for your own use I would suggest you decide for yourself. It is lovely and would be beautiful if restored, but new finishes could make it just as lovely. I would not decide based on future value, but on my personal enjoyment of it.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 06, 2018
    What a nice piece - I refinish furniture and would sand out the scratches and refinish.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Jan 06, 2018
    paint would work well but sand

• William William on Jan 06, 2018
    I agree with Holly. If you do not want it to lose it's value don't touch it. Collectors look for everything original in furniture. There are so many pieces out there the value really isn't that high.

• Baxter Baxter on Jan 06, 2018
    Your mahogany chest is lovely and the barley twist legs are gorgeous---but the chest only has value if you like it and use it. You will not be destroying a priceless antique by painting or refinishing it. Do whatever you want so that you will enjoy the piece. Unless you have a historical antique that can be documented with an interesting story or well-known family or circumstance, old furniture is rarely "valuable" and really doesn't sell at high prices. Even high-end older pieces can be found at auctions for very low prices. I've bought loads of it that I've painted or refinished and sold them for more than they were worth unpainted. Unless there is a wood condition issue (lifting veneer, gatoring or season splitting), I would refinish the chest instead of painting---that mahogany is beautiful.

• EmmaSurf EmmaSurf on Jan 07, 2018
    If there is something about the specific furniture piece that would bring high value as an antique, then you shouldn't do anything to it w/o consulting a dealer. Even refinishing with stain can lower the value. You might be able to get an idea of value without paying for an appraisal - some auction houses will give you a value range from pictures you submit.

• Teresa Teresa on Jan 09, 2018
    Use walnuts and other natural things to fix tge scratches.