How to update an old lamp?

+9
How should this old brass lamp be updated?
q update an old lamp
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 11, 2017
    Paint the base with a spray paint for metal,paint the lampshade with fabric paint

• Nancy Nancy on Dec 11, 2017
    PAINT BOTTOM BLACK AND RED COVER SHADE WITH RED & BLACK PLAID MATERIAL MY OPINION

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Dec 11, 2017
    Maybe spray paint the bottom and cut a sweater from a thrift store to cover the shade for a fresh look for winter? Here are how some other Hometalker's have updated theirs, maybe one will inspire you - https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=update%20lamp

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 11, 2017
    Pick a color you like and add a pop of color. I'm on a blue phase right now, so I would clean it up and either go a different metallic (they have copper, silver and bronze) in the spray paint section (probably more than that at some stores) and either pick a pretty print fabric to cover the shade with or a simple linen. Here's a video to help:

• Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 11, 2017
    You need some contrast in that corner. Sand down the existing color and spray paint antique white. Seal with spray poly. Get a new lampshade with a more flared bottom. The one in the picture is dated.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 11, 2017
    Decoupage the shade.......

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 11, 2017
    That shade look disproportionately tall for the base, I would go for a small drum shade. I just updated all my lamp shades to give a more modern look to my lamps..... and must say they look great. And I saved a bundle by buying new shades at Goodwill.

• Kat Kat on Dec 11, 2017
    we had couple expensive brass that began pitting, was too expensive to fix so we got spray paint from lowes. now they are gorgeous, with new shades!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 12, 2017
    Agree with Sharon that the shade is too tall for the base.
    Agree with Karen that the shape of the shade is dated, and out of style.
    I would not bother spending money and time in painting the shade. A new one (or a new second hand one) is going to revive this lamp much faster and easier. Also keep in mind that any dark coloured or painted fabric is going to cast a coloured glow, and reduce the brightness of the lamp, irregardless of what kind of bulb is inside.
    Go for neutral colour shade, with a new LED bulb.

• LindaRS LindaRS on Dec 12, 2017
    I have a lamp just like yours. I painted it with hammered metal spray paint in a bronze color. Love the new look.

• Kay Kay on Dec 12, 2017
    Goe back through old, or recent Home Talk post's. Lots of post's on this from other Home Talkers. Happy Home Talk surfing. Upload a pick when finnished if you can please. I would like to see how it turns out. Kay Adelaide Australia