How do I apply a decal on a table top?

+3

I have this side table I’m getting ready to refurbish. The top I want to sand and then leave natural. I have a decal that I want to place on top but I’m not sure how to go about it. I’ll be using a spar varnish to finish it but I’m wondering, do I use the varnish both before and after applying the decal? Any help is greatly appreciated.

q using a decal on table top
q using a decal on table top
  • Deb K Deb K on Feb 02, 2020

Hi Bren, I have attached a video to guide you in this craft, hope it helps you, If the wood is rough or porous, sand it so that the surface feels smooth to the touch. Then make sure there's no sawdust or residue on the wood before applying the vinyl. If it's been painted or sealed, allow a few weeks for the paint or sealant to cure before applying vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY48rsJvRFw

• Bren Bren on Feb 02, 2020

I guess I should have mentioned that the decal is a waterslide decal. However after watching your video link, I actually found another video that showed how to do the waterslide decals so this was very helpful. Thank you so much.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Feb 03, 2020

Hi Bren, I am sure this will be a beautiful piece of furniture when you are done. Hope this helps you and answers your question about the decal. Good luck with your project. www.hunker.com › ... › Housekeeping › Furniture Care

Can You Varnish Over Stickers? | Hunker

After varnishing, you cannot remove the stickers unless you first remove the... ... If, however, the stickers are unwanted, you should remove them from the wood surface before applying the ... Applying varnish over stickers will seal them in the wood surface for years to come. ... Can I Put Clear Varathane Over Latex Paint?

Missing: natural ‎| Must include:

natural

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Feb 03, 2020

Nice table. Are you applying the decal because the surface looks rough? If so, I would just sand it or strip it, stain, and apply a wax or varathane finish.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Feb 05, 2020

Great table! I would love to see a picture of the finished product when you are done!

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Feb 08, 2020

Hi Bren, here's a lovely video that will show you how to apply a decal to a table - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLDjI_eudo