Want to paint wood cabinets. what steps are involved to do this.

+4
My cabinets are varnished wood and I am wanting to lighten things up in my kitchen and bathrooms. Just need to know what all needs to be done to get a good paint job to stay and not chip off. Thank you.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Dec 14, 2017
    I recommend Dixie Belle Paint - little to no prep work, great video tutorials and customer service to help you. http://www.dixiebellepaintcompany.com/shop/?aff=9

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 14, 2017
    Hi Linda. You want to make sure they are very clean. Then I would use a oil base primer. It is more expensive but works better for varnished wood. I would even do 2 coats. Then paint. Good Luck!

• William William on Dec 14, 2017
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Jko5765157 Jko5765157 on Dec 14, 2017
    Get a palm sander and sand it all down after using a varnish remover. Spraying the cupboards make it look professional. You can rent a sprayer from Home Depot, Lowes etc. and you can choose the stain or paint you want to do.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Dec 14, 2017
    Amanda Hubertus is so right. Use Oil based primer-2 coats- and then high quality paint-latex or oil. Also, after cleaning the cabinets use a liquid sandpaper to 'tack up' the cabinets before priming.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 14, 2017
    Remember to wipe the cabinets down with a damp cloth after sanding to remove and dust.