What is the best type of paint to use on kitchen cabinets.

+3
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 13, 2018
    what are the cabinets made of?

• I've never done it myself, but Rustoleum makes a product called 'Transformations'. I've heard good things about it.

• Amy Lauzon Amy Lauzon on Jun 13, 2018
    I painted my oak cabinets. The best paint is an oil based paint. I used Krylon Fusion. You will need to sand the shiny finish off your cabinets, 2 coats of Kills primer, then finished with two coats of oil based paint. You will get a rock hard finish that doesn’t chip and is impervious to water.

• William William on Jun 13, 2018
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.