What supplies to use to refinish a cedar chest

+5
It’s about 20 years old on legs w 4 sections in front that I want to paint or ? Different flowers that I love. Top is veneer that has raised and discolored by time
q what supplies to use to refinish a cedar chest
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 16, 2018
    I would peel the veneer off the top, sand everything down, wash with TSP and dry with a lint free cloth. Then paint or stain as you like. I might put large blossoms on the lid and vines up the sides.

• Connie Quine Connie Quine on Jun 17, 2018
    I would begin by cleaning everything thoroughly, then sanding it all down to the wood. Paint it if you like, applying your flowers that you want, but cedar when finished with varnish is absolutely beautiful wood. Your choice!

• Jkr22097881 Jkr22097881 on Jun 17, 2018
    Please don't paint cedar! It is such a beautiful wood. Clean it, make sure any previous finish is removed; repair/replace veneer as much as possible and finish with tung oil. I hand rubbed a high gloss tung oil on my mother's cedar chest about 20 years ago and it is now one of my granddaughter's treasures and is in pristine condition. I can't remember exactly, but it took several coats of tung oil and using 0000 steel wool for sanding between coats. If yours has a little discoloration/damage on the top, that will only add to its history and beauty. At 70 years old myself, my mother's cedar chest is probably considered an antique at this point in time.

• Deedaisy Deedaisy on Jun 17, 2018
      lots of good info and good to know I’m not the only “experienced”person who likes old things🌺

• Emily Emily on Jun 17, 2018
    My comment does not have to do with the possible finishes of the cedar chest itself, but only with the cedar. I took a course called "Saving things" which is about treating valuable items with care. In that course we were taught that cedar is NOT good for the linen contents usually stored in them. This is a book that is readily available.

• BrokeCrazyLady BrokeCrazyLady on Jun 18, 2018
      It may not be good for the linens, but it does a great job of keeping moths away without the odor of moth balls.

• Lee Lee on Jun 19, 2018
    If you put any seal on cedar you will forever loose the properties of Cedar. If you need a different cole you should buy a pine chest Cedar repels bugs. Pine etc does not. If you strip the veneer you no longer have a Cedar chest. Maybe a Platsic tote would be another chpose

• Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Jun 28, 2018
    Only the inside of this chest (looks like a Lane) is made of cedar. The outside appears to possibly be walnut, which is a hardwood. Removing the veneer on the top would most likely result in a bigger mess than the raised veneer.

First, purchase the thinnest knife or spreader you can find. Look in the oil paints art section of a craft center for this type of tool. Then, using liquid wood glue, gently push some of the glue under the raised sections of the chest top. Wipe any glue off the top surface, put some waxed paper on top and put a weight (a pile of books will do just fine) on top of the area where you applied the glue. Allow, undisturbed, to dry for 24 hours. Do this wherever necessary.

If there are no openings in which to apply the glue, carefully use a razor blade to cut a slit (with the wood grain) in the middle of the areas of popped up veneer. Apply the glue as noted above. Extra care needs to be taken in order not to break the veneer. If some is broken, do the best you can to slip glue under it and secure it.

To refurbish the inside, all that needs to be done is to lightly sand all surfaces, sides, bottom and inside of lid. This will break the seal of age on the wood and bring the cedar back to its lovely fragrance and effectiveness.