Can I add milk paint powder to chalk paint?

+16
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 18, 2021

Hello that’s a very tricky question. I would suggest calling your paint manufacturer these pants has specific properties unique to them and I’m not sure what kind of result you might come up with. If it’s a sheen issue perhaps you could address that with a sealer.

• Janice Janice on Nov 18, 2021

Of course you can, but don't now what the results might be. Why not try a very small trial and see if it provides the finish you're wanting to have. Teting such as this often creates a whole new method (invention) to share!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 18, 2021

I would double check with the vendor where you purchased each. If you want to be adventurous, you could try mixing a very small amount and see how it works.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Nov 18, 2021

Hi Darlene, yep you absolutely can. I am curious what you're goal is / are you looking to change the color or create a thicker consistency? Cant hurt to try it with a small batch to see if it achieves the results you're looking for!

• Darlene dimarco Darlene dimarco on Nov 22, 2021

I have white linen chalk paint and Norton’s point green milk paint power. Should I mix water in milk paint then add too the white chalk paint?

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 18, 2021

Yes you can, mix up enough for the whole project so you have consistent results, practice on a small piece and go from there.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Nov 18, 2021

Can milk paint be used over chalk paint? Yes. When layering milk paint over a fresh coat of chalk paint, you don't need to sand the chalk paint surface.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 18, 2021

here is info for you

https://qisforquandie.com/2018/04/05/milk-paint-advanced-techniques/#:~:text=Here's%20what%20I've%20discovered,existing%20finish%20on%20your%20piece.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 18, 2021

While it appears that you can I don't see what the advantage would necessarily be.

Here are the differences:

Milk Paint

• Powder base with separate dry pigments
    • Must be mixed with water
    • Slight smell, like cut grass
    • Milk proteins in mixture
    • Cannot be stored, even if lid is tight (materials degrade)
    • Chippy distressed look

Chalk Paint

• Complete and fixed mixed (though needed remixing)
    • Water not needed, though can be added to thin paint
    • No smell
    • No milk protein: all inorganic materials
    • Can be stored tightly for a long time
    • Smoother appearance

• Annie Annie on Nov 18, 2021

There was a question asked here about mixing chalk paint with other paints a few years ago, and here is the link if you want to read it

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/q-mixing-chalk-paint-with-craft-paint-or-other-kind-of-paint-9844440

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty Tuula - Color Me Thrifty on Nov 18, 2021

I'm just wondering why you want to do that since both paints are great on their own. If you really want to try it, mix a small test amount first and see what happens.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Nov 18, 2021

Hi Darlene, yes you can. Both milk paint and chalk paint are water-based and they're both made by adding a dry powder-based (chalk or milk protein) to a liquid. Depending on what chalk paint you're using, I would suggest mixing up a small batch and playing around to see what results you get. Have fun

• Dee Dee on Nov 19, 2021

Yes you can, make sure you mix it in really well, and that you have enough to finish the project. If you do not have enough the finished project may come out splotchy.'

• Homeroad Homeroad on Nov 20, 2021

It sounds like it will be a little thick to me. I am not sure why you would want to do this. Milk paint and chalk paint are two different kinds of paint. I would not mix them :)

• I would try it out on a small batch and see how it looks on a small surface of what you'll be painting.

• Personally, I wouldn't mix the two different paints.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 7 days ago

Don't know, but why not give it a try! Use it on a sample before commiting to a nreal poroject!

• Maura White Maura White 7 days ago

I don't see why not. You'll get a nice combo of texture that could really turn out nice!

• Betsy Betsy 6 days ago

Hi Darlene: You sure can. Here's a great site that may answer all of your questions:

https://qisforquandie.com/2018/04/05/milk-paint-advanced-techniques/

Good luck