Did you have to sand or prime prior to painting?

+3
What kind of brush to avoid brush marks? Beautiful white cabinets, love it!!!
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 17, 2017
    You don't have to prep so much if you use chalk paint , which is why its so popular right now , but you do have to seal after with a wax or polyurethane .

• Judy Judy on Jun 17, 2017
    always prime before painting...cuts down on paint coats...covers stains and darker colour...less paint brush strokes..also lightly sand between coats. Use a good quality brush

• William William on Jun 17, 2017
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Use acrylic latex paint. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Swilkinson43 Swilkinson43 on Jun 17, 2017
    I just painted my kitchen cabinets in a beautiful grey with chalk paint. You do not need to strip and barely need to clean them. Just give them a good wipe. The chalk paint covers a multitude of sins. It is based on jesso that covers canvas before an artist paints the canvas and is just incredible. I painted wood cabinets that had a varnish on them and they came out great. After I gave them a rub down with wax, which gave them a little depth. I do many painting projects and have stripped, stained and refinished wooden furniture for years - this was the easiest project I have taken on.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 17, 2017
    With chalk paint, there is generally no prep.

• Lin25468262 Lin25468262 on Jun 18, 2017
    Thank you!