How can chalk paint be made?

+1
I love the look of chalk painted cabinets and would love to refinish my kitchen cabinets but prefer to make my own chalk paint so the color can be customized better for my home. And the cost would be more affordable.
  • Allyssa Swearingen Allyssa Swearingen on May 28, 2017
    There are several DIY recipes for chalk paint, but by far the most cost efficient would be the recipe that uses Plaster of Paris, latex paint and water to mix. The ratio is 3 parts paint, 1 part Plaster of Paris. You can also make chalk paint using baking soda and latex paint (mix 2/3 cup paint to 1/3 cup baking soda). The paint will be somewhat gritty however, so you'll have to sand it down for a smooth finish. Hope this helps!

• Vic23488284 Vic23488284 on May 28, 2017
    True Chalk Psint® Contains no latex so can't be made by blending something into latex. No sanding necessary with Annie Sloan paint!

• Shayna Shayna on May 29, 2017
    We made our own yesterday using PP and it turned out great except we are needing to match another color in our kitchen and the PP lightened our color just enough that it no longer matches!:(. Now we are switching to plain paint so we can get an exact color without the cost of tinting the pre made stuff. We have A LOT of drawers and cabinets.

• Susan Sloan Susan Sloan on May 29, 2017
    Ask a 4 year old if you can have some of his sidewalk chalk to use in your concoction for paint. More than likely, he'll say no. Go to Plan B.