How can I stain over chalk paint?

+9
I would like to stain the inlay of draw and doors to look like pine top hutch
q how can i stain over chalk paint
  • Kalista Heiden Kalista Heiden on Jun 15, 2017
    You'll have to sand the paint down first!

• Pamela Rascoe Brown Pamela Rascoe Brown on Jun 15, 2017
    polycrylics can be used over chalk paint and do not need to be removed if you decide to repaint

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Jun 15, 2017
    Yes...you will have to sand all the areas that you want to stain....Completely remove the paint first...down to the bare wood. Then, mask off the areas you want to stain and apply the stain.

• Beverly Lambert Beverly Lambert on Jun 15, 2017
    Use colored wax it will stick to chalk paint, start with a darker stain than you think, dry brush it on to give the effect of wood grain then cover it all with Minwax stain in light pine or oak. There is also a graining tool you can purchase

• Kathryn Roberts Kathryn Roberts on Jun 15, 2017
    The way you are going to effectively stain it without going through a multitude of steps is to use a product called "Stainable Primer", I know it's on Amazon... to be cost effective you would need to get the Gallon, you pay much higher if you just get the quart, but in your case you have just a small area to do. Here is a video showing the product being used https://youtu.be/eHpgSMZ2LU0

• Linda Leath Linda Leath on Jun 15, 2017
    I have had success with Minwax. It will never really come out like the top unless you strip the paint. That is a really messy, smelly job.
    Good luck

• Susan Clendening Susan Clendening on Jun 15, 2017
    You will have to sand sand and sand. Then paint

My suggestion... a product called "Stainable Primer" it will save you a multitude of steps and the finish comes out amazing. I know it's on Amazon... to be cost effective you would need to get the Gallon, you pay much higher if you just get the quart. Here is a video showing the product being used https://youtu.be/eHpgSMZ2LU0

• Charmaine Bancroft Charmaine Bancroft on Jun 15, 2017
    No....don't stain the top...rather chalk paint it the same colour as bottom...it's gorgeous!

• PoppyPickett PoppyPickett on Jun 16, 2017
    Sanding would be tedious. Go to a good hard ware store and get self adhesive veneer. Even if you got the primer to stick you may find a veneer that matched better. Most stores do not carry every kind of wood but it is out there. Easy it cuts with good scissors. Hope this helps.

• Terra Gazelle Terra Gazelle on Jun 17, 2017
    Use Mineral Spirits to remove any wax that might have been put on it..then try Citristrip..its a all natural paint stripper. It does not stink..smells like oranges... does not burn your hands..and is so thick you can strip the paint anywhere, just put a drop cloth under the piece of furniture... if it works then a very light sanding to clean it up should be all you need.
    The biggest problem will be finding the right stain color.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 17, 2017
    I agree with terra...citristrip is amazing..works fast..smells good too