How do I make pallet boards look rustic?

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jun 12, 2018
    In this shelf project I did, I aged wooden planks using gray wood stain and instant coffee, here's my link:
    https://www.hometalk.com/30718635/industrial-style-hanging-bookshelves?r=2

• 27524803 27524803 on Jun 12, 2018
    That is the purpose of using pallets.... they ARE rustic

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 12, 2018
    Pallets left in the weather will look rustic in a season. If you want to paint them to look rustic, start from the wood up, staging first if you want, then applying two of more colors of paint. I like to go from dark paint up to light paint, or from light. When the painting is done, use some sandpaper and very lightly sand the outside edges, in maybe three inch sections. Go back and sand some of the top and some of the edges with a courser sandpaper or just sand a little deeper. This should make the board look rustic and show bits of different colors, as if the paint has been wearing off over a number of years. Paint your design or apply stencils, then seal your planks. I hope this helps! ☺️