How do you remove wallpaper from unpainted drywall?

+2
The wallpaper was applied 20 years ago to new drywall. Sizing was used directly on the drywall, but no primer or paint was applied first. Thank you!
  • Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 16, 2017
    Use a steamer. If you have a hand held clothes steamer that works great. If not you can rent a steamer at a paint store where they sell wallpaper

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 16, 2017
    I agree
    ..a steamer is chemical free or you can buy wallpaper remover from home depot

• William William on Jun 16, 2017
    The wallpaper was applied properly. I use a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Spary the mixture on, let it soak in for a while, scrape the wall paper off.

• Kky24926742 Kky24926742 on Jun 16, 2017
    Thanks for offering ideas! I tried both of those, but it moistens the top layer of drywall, damaging it.

• Ginny Ginny on Jun 16, 2017
    The previous owners of my home had two layers of wallpaper in the hallway, and when I tried to remove, off came the top layer of drywall. My only choice (according to a wallpaper store) was to install real barnsiding panelling, and 40 yrs. later it is still there. I know it's out of style but I like it so much I cannot bring myself to paint it. You can nail right into it because it is real wood. Love it!